You are here

Does it get better?

daisy611's picture

When I first joined, I was living in lala land, thinking that being a step-mom wouldn't be so bad. Yes, the kids are kind of well-behaved. Yes, my DH does discipline them. But I'm still finding myself more and more annoyed every time they will be coming around. For example, this past weekend we got married. So the kids were down in FL (although with DH's parents. I refused to watch them on my wedding weekend) but that was BM's weekend. Since she conveniently planned their baptism this upcoming weekend, I assumed she would keep them. Wrong. That set me off. I was expecting to have a weekend alone with DH to get things ready for our upcoming move. I feel like a stranger when they come. They're loud, have no respect for the early hours (I'm 19 weeks pregnant, trying to enjoy my sleep on the weekends while I can lol) and they in general can't play by themselves. What can I do so that I'm not dreading every weekend?? I try leaving, but there's only so much that can be done outside the house!

WTHDISUF's picture

New rules from DH to set up some order when they are there. No disturbing you until you wake naturally which means they are to use inside voices, no running or horseplaying or tattling or any of the annoying stuff kids do naturally. Add in that it's not YOUR kids and you have a child on the way and in those queasy early stages, it does make it all seem worse and less tolerable.

If they can't entertain themselves quietly with TV for a while, they should be made to go outside and play--yes, that big old place that we used to be sent to when we worked on our Parents nerves. Despite the advances in Technology, Outdoors still exist. Lol

The SS8 knows to be quiet in the mornings and not wake me or bother me. I have a great "don't f*ck with me face" that he's learned he'll get if he acts like a fool in the mornings. Lol