You are here

Doctors' Visits

poisonivy's picture

There are 7 people covered under DH''s health and dental benefits- 2 skids (joint custody), 3 bios (full), myself and DH.

Going over the past year and half's claims, I noticed that for the last 100 claims paid, 64 of them were for skids.

Before anyone gets on a soapbox, I don't have a problem with BM taking them to the doctors' or dentists' when they need it- and we pay 100% of uncovered expenses- but, am I the only one who feels this is a bit much?

vera3's picture

Okay, I will the dumb one to ask -- 100 claims for a year and a half? Can that possibly be right??? I'm not saying you can't count I'm just confused as to how there can be so many? :?

poisonivy's picture

These are the total claims for everyone covered...that would only be about 14 visits per year per family member..

vera3's picture

Wow that sure seems like a LOT to me. Our kids only go to the doctor when they are *really* sick, only a few times per year it seems like.

We have to pay 50% of any unreimbursed medical claims and it seems like every time we take the kids to the doctor we get bill for $50-$100 plus copay. If BM was taking them for things that I thought were unneccessary, in theory I would challenge having to pay for half the bill, but not sure how I would prove it wasn't necessary. That would be tough and frustrating!

steptwins's picture

Oh its a bit much all right. She feels entitled to unlimited medical visits as they don't cost her a thing. We have 60/40 (DH/BM) and she doesnt' take them to Dr. ever. Why? Copay of $25 bucks. DH doesn't ask her to ever pay 40% of a bill. Even braces for both twins. She's got it pretty good eh? If one swin calls & asks her to talk him, she yells: "I've got plans so tell your father he's got to help me out & take u."

Auteur's picture

Sounds like the Behemoth!! A touch of Munchausen's I'd say.

The Behemoth was always overjoyed to FIND something "wrong" with the skids just for the attention and drama.

:sick:

roseslady2's picture

Yup yup... and I am noticing that many many many BMs have this going on. My skids' BM had this going on before I came along too. I think she still does to a degree, but has definitely calmed down since she's gotten some of her own medical issues. Plus, her mom's hip was broken recently, so she's happy to just deal with SS10's Tourette's syndrome... no bronchitis or flu visits for a year or so.

alwaysanxious's picture

So of the two skids, they went to a physician or a dentist 64 times in a year? Are any in therapy?

poisonivy's picture

No one is in therapy, don't think I haven't suggested it, though. These are just doctors' visits...yet every time I see them, they're suffering from one disorder or the other...

kalmolil's picture

Wow! That IS a lot. BM was doing this for a while... taking SD to the doctor for every sniffle she had. She was stock-piling bills and tried to hit DH all at once with them until he reminded her that (per CO) a) she has to pay 50% of all of them, b) she can't accumulate the bills, and c) she has 10 days to send us a certified copy of the bill via certified mail, and we have 30 days to pay from the date of receipt. She'd held on to all of the bills so long that none of them were valid and we didn't have to pay her a penny. Not my fault she's a hypochondriac and wants to rush to the doctor for every little sneeze, cough, and sniffle!

vera3's picture

Have you ever not paid your half of a bill(even though BM sent it within 10 days/certified mail as per your CO) because you knew the appointment(s) weren't really needed and they were because BM likes to rush to the doctor for every little sneeze and sniffle?

I'm just wondering what we're supposed to do if they take kids to excessive/uneccessary appts and then ask us to pay half. That's total BS but I don't see how we can get out of paying, in other words how do we prove that the appts were excessive/unecessary?

I think I will be coming up against this eventually and I'm wondering how we can say, no, you are paying this bill on your own because these appts were unnecessary and you're a whack job who loves to stick us with bills...

joanie's picture

do they go to a regular family doctor? you could ask him to put in writing if he ever feels visits are unwarranted. and let him know why, too.

hbell0428's picture

That seems like a lot! I have 3 Bio's and this year we have gone maybe 10-12 times; 4 visits were for shots for school........
why is BM paying something? We try to split things.....well when we had sd14 half time; BM made sure she got us......Now that we have SD full time; we see maybe 50 or 100 a month! Being a SP is so Tiring :?

roseslady2's picture

Something to remember: 4 visits for 3 kids=12 total visits to the insurance company... Because we go to the chiro biweekly, my skids have insurance claims for 50 or so visits just for that...