You are here

Do you think it’s normal for a man to tell his wife/girlfriend that she doesn’t look nice on her Facebook photos?

Monsterchick87's picture

*bad* I know this is absolutely off topic but I don't have a place to vent sometimes.  I know social media shouldn't be a big deal. I have a Facebook account that I use to be in contact with close friends and family that lives overseas. I don't have a lot of friends, probably like 80 friends and I don't even use my Facebook a lot. 
My boyfriend is also my friend on Facebook and he's always saying negative things about the photos I take. For the record, I am an adult and I don't post provocative photos or anything. Just normal photos. One time I changed my profile picture and posted a selfie and he said that he didn't like that picture and that I had a sad face. I looked normal but according to him I looked sad. 

Two days ago I posted a photo of myself standing at a nice garden full of flowers. Since it's spring, I also added a nice quote along with it. My boyfriend told me: "I saw the picture that you posted, but I didn't like it. You look so sad". AGAIN THE SAME THING!!!! I don't understand why he says I looked sad if was smiling a little but didn't had a full smile on my face. But hey, about 10 people liked my picture while my boyfriend didn't. Why is he criticizing me like this? Is he jealous or envious? The funny thing is that he never smiles when taking photos, so why is he looking at my flaws?

I feel that a man who loves a woman wouldn't tell her these things. He almost never likes the pictures I take and always sees something in them. Is this normal or why would he do that? Is he trying to put me down for no reason?

Evil4's picture

Have you asked your SO what exactly does he mean by commenting negatively about your pics? Is it that he doesn't like you looking sad? Is he trying to start a dialogue with you about issues? Is he trying to ask why you're sad? Does he make other comments about your appearance? Or just the sad thing?

Many men are dolts when it comes to communicating so they say dumb things and totally miss the mark. My own H is that way. He's an absolute twat when it comes to communicating and I have to really delve into things with him to find out what he really means. If I don't, it leaves me to interpret things he says and I'm almost always very negative in my interpretations and I'm almost always wrong. Not that I'm defending my twat of a husband, but some men are really shitty communicators. 

Rags's picture

IMHO it depends  Some pics are just not flattering.  My DW appreciates it when I give her my opinion. Though I do tend to moderate how I deliver the massage if my opinion on a dress, picture, etc.... is not positive. But.... ultimately I directly state my opinion. e.g. "Nope, I don't like that dress/outfit/pic.  It is not flattering.  The other one looks rockin on you/in the other pic you look amazing."

Ask him for detail.  Figure out what he likes and why he does not like something.  

My DW and I went thought this a bit early in our marriage.  She focused on very trendy clothing that I did not think was particularly flattering on her.  So, I offered to go shopping with her and point out things that I felt would look great on her...... yep. She saw the difference and now 26+/- years later she asks my opinion on just about all of her clothes.  She is stunning and has learned that fashion that highlights her hight (5'10"+) and her curves and fits well rather than is baggy or is skin tight put her in super model territory.

It may just be that he prefers to see  you beaming. But... you won't know until you sit him down for the direct focused discussion and keep digging until you find the clear answer.

IMHO of course.

Good luck.

Kaylee's picture

Yeah, as Rags said, it's all in the delivery.

Instead of saying you looked sad in the photos, he could say,

"That was a nice photo you took of yourself in the garden, with all the flowers. You looked a little thoughtful in the picture, what were you thinking about?" 

EvieLou's picture

He could be a bit more tactful for certain - it's one thing if he just wants you to be shown at your best but I'd definately ask him what he means - because otherwise it could be hurtful.  Maybe turn the table a bit on him and point out a pic of him where he looks less than shit-hot - I'm sure there will be some and just say it's not very flattering etc and see how he responds.  Some people are quick to dole out their opinions but never look at themselves.

ESMOD's picture

If the recurring issue is that he thinks you are looking "sad" in your pictures (vs making fun of clothing, appearance etc..).. then maybe he is using these to springboard into talking to you about your feelings?  Maybe he is worried you aren't happy in the relationship with him?

Wildchildhaz1's picture

If this is a recurring issue it could be very passive aggressive emotional abuse. He's not one of these divorced dads who has a "crazy" ex who was of course the cause of all of their relationship problems, is he? Another narcissistic, divorced parent perhaps?

Stepdrama2020's picture

You could always title the photos "do I look sad?"   LOL then you will get comments saying otherwise. Hell I m passive aggressive, learned that from my ex SD.

Monsterchick87's picture

But the thing is that I don't think I look sad on the pictures. I look normal. Am I supposed to have a big smile on every photo or can I just act normal?

I am starting to question if I look good at all. When I take pictures and ask him his opinion, he has a hard time picking out a picture in which he feels I look good. 

tog redux's picture

Why are you still with this guy, may I ask? Based on your other blogs, he regularly tells you he wants to leave you. But it's this behavior about the pictures that you are worried about?

Stepdrama2020's picture

I just read this OP's blogs. Dang it, You hit the nail on the head.

OP the pictures are like other members are saying he is picking away at any little self esteem you have left.

Your DH is an disgusting creature .

Love yourself, leave him, then post a pic of your HUGE beautiful smile with the caption "I am free and happy, sad no more"

Rags's picture

The amalgamation of the OP's DH's crap is pretty clear.  His criticism of the pictures of the OP and comments about her looking sad is just the tip of the iceberg.

Time for her to find a new mate.

smh

Winterglow's picture

Truly, why do you care? He is an abusive manipulator who doesn't give a rat's behind about anyone other than himself and his pathetic, useless kids. Pack your things and leave today. Take your daughter with you. File for child support but only after you've had a forensic accountant go through his stuff because he's clearly hiding as much as he can. He's even used you to mop up his debts! Good grief! Stop letting him bleed you financially and morally. You don't have to live this way. Do you really want your daughter to grow up thinking that this is what a couple should be? 

To answer your question - it doesn't matter what he thinks about your photos because he's an arse. Only an arse would post remarks like he's doing. Hasn't any of your other friends called him out on his comments yet? "I wonder why she'd look sad? Maybe it's the people around her?"

He isn't worth the time of day. Please think of your future, your daughter's future. I have read all of your posts and they are bleak. If you really do look sad, it's really no mystery why... 

Please, put yourself first. You deserve so much more and so much better.

((((HUGS))))

Livingoutloud's picture

My DH thinks and tells me I look stunning anytime and anywhere: in evening attire or wearing pajamas and messy hair. I can't imagine him ever saying I don't look good.

Your SO is abusive loser 

Rags's picture

I do the same.  Though I will offer an opinion on an outfit upon occassion.