You are here

Do you have any best practices when kids are highly contagious??

sunshinex's picture

So we're about 99% sure my 5 year old stepdaughter has whooping cough... she's going to the doctor tomorrow but in the meantime, i've noticed my DH doesn't really seem to understand common best practices for not spreading illnesses like this. It's especially annoying given that i'm 13 weeks pregnant and really, really don't want to deal with a respiratory infection right now. For example, she doesn't wash her hands unless I remind her too. He's also letting her lay on the couch - and we only have one couch! I don't want to be rude and it's not like I want to quarantene her, but I feel like there should be SOME sort of best practices followed in these types of scenarios. It's worrying me because eventually we'll have a newborn who cant be vaccinated until 6 months. When I bring it up, he seems to try and listen/hear me out but I can just tell he thinks i'm crazy.

What do you think? Am I overreacting for thinking she shouldn't be laying anywhere but her bed and if she's up and about, she should make sure she washes her hands a few times per day and stays out of areas like the kitchen when i'm cooking? Like I said, I totally don't want to be rude but damn... I really don't want to catch whooping cough and I wouldn't want a newborn catching something like that because best practices aren't followed.

sunshinex's picture

Also I've noticed when I bring things up like "when I was younger we had to wash our hands and stay in our rooms a lot if we had a contagious illness" he'll respond with something like "maybe that's why you have a low immune system" meanwhile I have a low immune system because i'm pregnant! lol it's driving me nuts. My stepdaughter is almost ALWAYS sick with something, usually just a cold, but I can't help but feel like he's not taking it serious enough.

not2sureimsaneanymore's picture

Whooping cough? Are you guys up to date on your vaccines? It's a really horrible illness and hand washing, face masks should be a given. Are you sure it isn't croup?

If a little baby who hasn't had the vaccine gets it, they can die because their lungs pretty much liquify and they suffocate to death so keep her away from people!

Call the doctor. Whooping cough is no joke.

nengooseus's picture

I treat every skid ailment as though it was the plague. (With DH's blessing) They are confined to their room and everything they Touch IIs sanitized quickly. They get a bucket for vomit.

In fairness, I do the same with DD.

I stay as far away as possible. It seems like any skid illness is 10x worse than normal illnesses! I got the stomach bug from SD in January and had 6 weeks of vertigo afterward!

With the prospect of whooping cough (wtf?!), I'd be at a hotel...

SMforever's picture

You would be wise to,google "pregnancy and whooping cough". You may need to take immediate action to distance yourself from an infected person if your pertussis vaccine is not up to date.

You would be wise to,send SD back to,BM umtil.she gets better. 13 weeks is sich a vital developmental time, why take the risk of imfection.

sunshinex's picture

I believe it's whooping cough but the doctor can't see her until tomorrow. She is not up to date on vaccines. She is supposed to get a set of them including the one that protects against whooping cough between 4-6 yrs but she is almost 6 and hasn't had them. Her symptoms sound the exact same as whooping cough. Poor thing was up all night wheezing and can't coughing. At some points I was surprised she didn't throw up from coughing so hard.

I feel bad for her but I'm more worried about myself lol I'm trying to get ahold of my midwife to make sure it's not dangerous for me or the lil fetus !

BethAnne's picture

If he will not quarantine sd I would quarantine yourself away from her, eat separately and avoid her and the home you need to put you and the baby first even if your husband won't. Without your help and support doing everything while you are self quarantined you may find he misses you enough to quarantine the child instead.

No, she should be mostly protected, as far as vaccines go if she already had one, multiple rounds is only meant to make ABSOLUTE sure the body has developed immunity to the disease. There was an uproar a few years ago by anti-vaccination groups that 8 people who had received the measles vaccines still got the measles during an outbreak--I did the math and there's a 3% chance of vaccines not "taking hold" in the body after two doses, 7% if only one dose was received so multiple doses are just attempts to decrease that possibility. The 8 people within a population of millions was far below the percentage anyway and served only to feed into their hysteria.

I'm actually surprised the 5 year old didn't get her DTAP vaccine--mine got it at her 2 month old visit.

sunshinex's picture

She has had her DTAP vaccine but she's not up-to-date. She should've had another one when she turned 4 but hasn't yet. It seems like it's whooping cough because she had cold/flu like symptoms for about a week or two until she started having really, really bad coughing fits all night long. Most of the time, it sounds like she's wheezing and barely breathing while she coughs. It also sounds like she's going to throw up she's coughing so hard. Which from what I've read, is exactly what whooping cough does. It starts as cold like symptoms and progresses to a very, very severe wheezy sounding cough.

I've looked up whooping cough on youtube and it sounds exactly the same as what hers sounds like. She's also complaining of a sore ear, which is common (ear infection) with whooping cough. So she SHOULD be protected given that she's had the shot before, but it seems that doesn't matter in this case.

BethAnne's picture

It could be a chest infection. Best to get her to the doctor to diagnose her properly.

notsurehowtodeal's picture

The doctor can't see her today, but can see her on Easter? Why not just take her to an urgent care today? If you take her to an urgent care, I would advise them ahead of time that you think it might be whooping cough - they will want to take immediate action to isolate her.

I use Clorox wipes like crazy when anyone is sick in our household.

sunshinex's picture

The urgent care center in our area is closed weirdly enough. It's open tomorrow, though. It makes no sense. I bought lysol wipes and spray and have been disinfecting everything in the house.

sunshinex's picture

She isn't updated on her shots because we've moved 2-3 times so we haven't had a stable family doctor. Plus the only shots she's missing are the 4-6 and she's 5 and a half so we still have some time. She was the doctor at the walk-in clinic and fortunately it's a chest infection of some sort. They gave her anti-biotics to help it go away!

Heavenlike-- My husband was very concerned, lol. It's not that he didn't care, he just has a very high immune system so he's never gotten anything like whooping cough or anything else but a minor cold. Whereas I've had all sorts of respitory problems so I recognized it as something more than a cough right away.

We would've taken her to the hospital but her mother has her healthcard and is slow giving it back, so it would've been a few hundred dollars vs. going to the walk-in clinic the next day for $40. He definitely was responsible. He slept beside her the night before we got to the clinic to watch her breathing/make sure it didn't get out of hand.

Let's not be so quick to assume... My only concern was NOT keeping her in her room, it was quarentining something potentially dangerous to a fetus until we could get her some medical attention. I don't think that's out of the ordinary considering the protective nature pregnant women tend to have over their unborn.

But thanks everyone so much for all the advice!!

Pneumonia was my second guess. Keep an eye on it. Glad she got antibiotics but if the fevers don't go away within 3 days, you have to HAVE TO bring her back--some strains are more resistant than others and require stronger antibiotics/different combinations. Poor baby, I had pneumonia as a kid and had to stay in the hospital.

TJH100911's picture

My Skids and my DD have to stay in their rooms when they are sick or can't go to school. We set up videos, games, coloring books, iPads, etc in their rooms. They eat in their rooms. We try to not have everyone get infected.

BM calls this "child abuse" and says we will have the kids stripped from us.

Rags's picture

Douse her hands in sanitizer every 30mins or so since she is not a hand washer. You and DH do the same.

Buy sanitizing wipes and wipe off door knobs, etc... and her face periodically. Put a clean sheet on the sofa when she is on it. Keep a couple of extra clean white sheets available. Wash them in hot water and use bleach. Since it is a cough producing ailment and likely spreads via aerosol particles from the cough... put her in a medical mask.

Nothing hard about any of that.

Bex_S's picture

Don't let skid anywhere near you. If your husband can't see that he's putting you and your unborn baby at risk then he's being incredibly selfish. You cannot afford to catch that or even risk catching it. Put your foot down and say she can't come while she's ill. I feel like I'm forever having to put my foot down to stop gross SD8 from infecting my entire household.

Bex_S's picture

Don't let skid anywhere near you. If your husband can't see that he's putting you and your unborn baby at risk then he's being incredibly selfish. You cannot afford to catch that or even risk catching it. Put your foot down and say she can't come while she's ill. I feel like I'm forever having to put my foot down to stop gross SD8 from infecting my entire household.

sunshinex's picture

Take your husband to your doctor and have them talk to him about the importance of protecting pregnant women and newborns from ALL viruses, including the common cold. A child's cold passed onto a newborn can actually be RSV - the symptoms don't present themselves as anything more than a common cold for children but can kill babies. When we were in the hospital with my newborn son (he had bacterial meningitis), I saw more than one baby come in with RSV and it was horrific. They were almost always sick because of older siblings with "colds."

I protected the ever-living HELL out of my newborn from any and all signs of sickness after being in the hospital and seeing babies suffering (including my own - but he didn't catch bacterial meningitis in a traditional sense). Our best practices are constant hand-washing, no touching toys outside of your own room, no laying on the couch, etc. - nothing ridiculous but enough to keep others from getting sick.

Ya, SD ends up in her room a lot when she's sick because she gets bored of not being able to do whatever she wants downstairs in the living room. She doesn't like having to pay attention to what she's touching/where she's putting her germs, but she's always welcome to come colour at the dining table or sit on the floor to watch cartoons.

When my son was around 4 months and caught a cold, we took him into the doctor and they actually recommended having big sister change clothes/shower when she gets home from school and not allowing her to touch his hands/face. RSV was going around at the time so they said to be very careful.