You are here

Divorce

IAMGOOD's picture

Well I didn't grow up with divorced parents. Didn't really have aunt and uncles divorced either. Now I see what my kids have had to go thru and my step children....and what adults too go thru.

I have learned the last 5+ years to breathe and breathe more.

I have learned that working with other adults is often an impossible task and has to come down to what is best for the kids. Sometimes it is best to give up a kid without a fight and give that kid what he wants. Say to a kid "listen - you need balance in your life and to be in one place and we will continue to love you and support you even if you don't live with us". Contrary, sometimes it is best to fight for a kid(s) because you know they belong with you and you can offer them the best support & love.

I have learned that if a parent wants to poison or alienate a kid it most likely will be done & successful. Best defence is to just focus on being positive and sticking to your own beliefs and house rules and be kind. Never talk about the parent negatively. That kid may have to go thru years of believing this one parent as telling the truth until they grow up and realize how destructive that was but that's not for us to figure out. Let go.

I have learned that sometimes we have to make choices and do things and keep it OUR own business. Don't ask for permission. Just do your parental instinct to protect your kid and make sure they are safe and in a stable and loving environment so that THEY can launch into adulthood and make their own lives. They are human beings with rights and we are their protectors.

I have learned that what other people do wrong is their karma, but, how we react to it is ours.

I have learned that although a step parent can be a positive influence in a person's life and a wonderful person - the kids want their real parents to do their jobs. For every 10 things a step parents does nice you will be lucky if he kid says thank you for one of those things. For every ONE thing the real parent does the kid is overflowing with thank you's and appreciation. As a result i have learned to do nice things on my terms and never expect anything in return. Do it cause in your heart you want to give that kid that gift for the kid's sake.

I have learned that those windows only stay open so long. Kids grow up & see who it was that was behind them the whole time. Cared for them. Made them a priority in their life.

Last, I have learned that it is never too late for forgiveness, re-kindling of relationships and healing. Teach your kids this. People can change. Don't close their windows for them. So for those parents that missed the window - don't give up. Focus on love and be patient. We can only go forward in life and never back.

Take care Smile

Anon2009's picture

I agree with what you said. It is disheartening to see people use their children as weapons for any reason. Some are just bitter. Some get into a contest of trying to one-up the other parent.

"I have learned that although a step parent can be a positive influence in a person's life and a wonderful person - the kids want their real parents to do their jobs."

^^^THIS^^^

I felt a huge relief when I realized this. Once I realized this I backed off from trying to parent them. My DH had to start doing that. Things got better after he did. I don't know anyone who wants someone who is not their mother/father/guardian trying to parent them. I was constantly beating my head against a wall in trying to parent these kids.

IAMGOOD's picture

glad they were helpful
I have seen many angles of divorce & all of them are challenging
I wish I knew more back then...and then wouldn't have invested so much effort and emotional energy. Smile

PleasantEnough's picture

"I have learned that what other people do wrong is their karma, but, how we react to it is ours."

^^^Preach^^^

I swear there are some times you read/hear something that just flips the switch to the light bulb!

All of what you said is truth.

I also needed to read about...
"I have learned that although a step parent can be a positive influence in a person's life and a wonderful person - the kids want their real parents to do their jobs. For every 10 things a step parents does nice you will be lucky if he kid says thank you for one of those things. For every ONE thing the real parent does the kid is overflowing with thank you's and appreciation. As a result i have learned to do nice things on my terms and never expect anything in return. Do it cause in your heart you want to give that kid that gift for the kid's sake."

I struggle with this. I do believe I try to parent SD15 too much, but at the same time I don't want her to look at me as a friend either, that can lead to everything being off balance. DH has allowed me to parent SD too much as well, looking back. It's something me and DH are going to need to talk about once I get my thoughts right. I have to be prepared to "talk" as the ADD kicks in and I can't process what is in my head or I forget things I wanted to say etc. LOL, I need to make a "talk" list! Dirol
But joking aside, that is so true.

IAMGOOD's picture

I guess it means to me that we can act like adults & be parents/role models but the reciprocation is not the same and there are more boundaries with what we can do. Also, each kid is unique in that some kids respond better and other kids rebel. That is ofte a factor of age. You come into a kids life when they are 12 years old and you may be cooked!!! Younger is often better.

There is no basic recipe to step parenting but I wish I was easier on myself from the beginning and just expected less in return and just saw it for what it is. I am not their mom or dad. So even if mom and dad are not stepping up - I will only be allowed to do so much.

My recommendation to any woman craving motherhood is to have your own kids if you want kids. Step-kids want their BM.

Smile

moeilijk's picture

Who cares if they like you or not? Parenting is not a popularity contest. It doesn't matter if the kid likes you, it only matters that you raise them to be capable adults of value and character.

Step-parents don't even have that responsibility, unless that's what their family agrees to. A step-parent is the partner of the parent. It's still the responsibility of the parent to, you know, parent.

Disengaging isn't an option to parents busy raising their kids. It's an option for people dealing with other people's unpleasant children.

IAMGOOD's picture

"Disengaging isn't an option to parents busy raising their kids. It's an option for people dealing with other people's unpleasant children"

I like this line moelijk!!!! I have one unpleasant and one wonderfully pleasant so at least 1 out of 2 isn't bad!!!!!

Smile

IAMGOOD's picture

I don't believe so. It just means stepping back and letting them come to you. Not trying too hard. And also not allowing them to push your button with emotion cause they will do that. Once kids figure out they are in control position and you are trying to PLEASE them forget it!!!!
Disengaging in my opinion means accepting some things. Accepting other people's parenting styles. Accepting they want mommy & daddy the most.
I personally would rather go shopping with a girlfriend than deal with taking a step kid shopping. I buy the step kid something and their mom sees it and critiques it and tear is apart and the kids who loved this clothing is now krinkling it up into a ball and hucking it in a corner cause BM is a nut bag.
So sorry kid - your reality is yours but my buying you something is NOT helping you. I was buying her something cause she NEEDED it so bad and was stealing from my daughter to get what she needed.
Guess that doesn't work cause BM is a nut bag. LOL
Fortunately after a couple talks she stopped stealing and dad took care of her needs. She goes to him and tells him when she is feeling that desparate.

Let go and move onward. My two kids are the most important things in the world & need me. <3

Smile

IAMGOOD's picture

E-Harmony? Match.com?

Have you considered moving on? I think you need to change something up for yourself so your focus changes. Anyway you look at it the honeymoon is long over and too much negativity may be attached to your relationship because of his inability to keep you important in his life. You feel 2nd rate & need to be #1

Hope I am helping