You are here

Disengagement MAY be working!

Eyes Wide Open's picture

Yesterday, we went to DH's family for Easter Lunch. :0/ Wasn't exactly what I wanted to do, but I sucked it up. As with Christmas, I paid close attention to the interaction between DH's sisters, their husbands, their grown children, and DH's daughter. The ONLY ones who even speak to her are his sisters and his mother. The rest of them completely ignore her and her baby daddy. I KNOW it has to do with the fact that they are all working their tail ends off and she is "entitled"--she told us so about a year ago!

Anyway....I did my usual stay in the kitchen, cook and clean up routine. It's a huge kitchen, so you can still visit with everyone while you're working. SD25 (her birthday is today), her baby daddy and children all stayed in the living room by themselves. There were about 20 of us in the kitchen/eating area all having a good visit and laughing and joking together. SD and her family did not make themselves part of it. I completely ignored SD.

As we were leaving, DH realized he forgot something in the house so he ran back to get it. I started the car to get the A/C nice and cool for the trip home. SD came out to the car to talk to ME!!!!! I was civil, but didn't give her more than an inch (because she'd take a mile!). I am finding it interesting that the more I completely ignore her, the more civil she's become. I still don't trust her as far as I can throw her. I still really want nothing to do with her. But, I am also the only adult in her life that has EXPECTATIONS of her. Maybe, just maybe, if I stick to my guns on this, she'll get her act together! We'll see!