You are here

Did FDH make the right decsion regarding child support?

abugandabean's picture

FDH and BM do not have court ordered child support but we pay her a more than fair sum every other week. The reason BM doesn't file is because she knows she would get a reduction. Well a few weeks ago she forgot her car seat and asked to borrow ours. He let her borrow it. This is a $150 convertible car seat. Well she keeps forgetting to bring it back and telling him that he can use hers. He did this for 2 times in a row until I realized last weekend that this seat is WAY too big for SD she doesn't meet the minimum requirements for her height and weight (she's very small for her age). We discussed that if she didn't bring the seat for this meeting he would not be giving her child support and we would use the money to buy a new seat. It was also discovered that her car was repossessed and we assume our seat was in it when it got repossessed.

Well he called her today reminded her to bring the seat and if she didn;t have it he would be using the child support money to buy a new seat. She assured him that she had the seat, well she didn't. They meet in a Target parking lot so he walked away from her and went to buy a new seat.

He's been wanting to file. We have SD almost 50% of the time and we are paying too much but we haven't figured out how to file for court ordered child support when we are paying. Then again we haven't done much research into it. He is concerned that when it goes to court that a judge will look at him negatively. My opinion is we are volunteering to pay her more than we would if it was court ordered. And she basically stole our expensive car seat and we are not using her car seat that is unsafe for SD. I figure the worst a judge will do is force him to pay court ordered child support (which we want anyway) but really what is he going to do?

Thoughts?

abugandabean's picture

Well technically it's not even due yet we were going to post date a check for her. He could still give it to her if necessary. She's not bright enough to claim it was a gift. She's about as dumb as they come.

ej'scrazy's picture

I'd be sure to be writing "child support" on the memo line each and every time. Otherwise, BM can claim she never got a dime, and say that it was a gift, especially since the amount is/was higher than she was entitled to have.

Orange County Ca's picture

There is no court ordered child support therefore there is no child support owed. The people above don't know law they're just giving opinions. Your husband doesn't owe a dime in child support. Not in the past, not now and not in the future. But he's doing the right thing and paying for his children. Yes it certainly is a good idea to write "Child Support" on the checks but its just for show to the BM.

It's rare when ex-spouses go to family court and one walks away pleased. My experience is that the judge splits the difference just to shut everyone up and everyone walks away disappointed or even angry.

Anytime a ex-couple can agree on something without the court getting involved everything works better. Take your child seat for instance, if there is ordered support then your husband would be risking jail if he reduced support to pay for the seat. Why volunteer for that?

The system they have is working - don't "fix" it.

asgoodasitgets's picture

Sorry, but this is just not true. It depends on the state you live in & the judge. My DH was voluntarily giving a mutually agreed upon amount to BM for 2 years before she took it to court (she was told she could get more going through the system). Their court date took place just 2-3 months after she filed. The judge ordered back support dated back to ONE YEAR (!!!) for the difference in what DH was paying & what the CS was figured to be. So my DH was then in arrears for thousands. In our state, like most others, DH cannot claim SD on taxes until his arrearage is paid off. So not having an official CS order really hurt him in the long run.

Also, like your FDH, my DH refused to give BM money at certain times (like when he had SD for vacation for a week). The judge figured this into the arrearage because BM kept good records of when DH had "missed" payments.

My recommendation is to FIRST get a solid custody agreement that specifies how much time FDH gets his daughter (if it's 50-50 that very much impacts what he will pay) THEN discuss CS. But definitely do it through the system.

sbm014's picture

^^This is what happened to my DH. Mind you he was paying all of the household bills and giving BM CS go to try. To give her time to get on her time to get a job and all that. And even though checks made from the bank said CS...BM and her lawyer claimed it was a gift as it did not go through the state agency and tried to file for arrears.

DH got out of paying due to her illegally changing locks and a police report of something she allowed in the house.

It is different everywhere I would def get a lawyer.

Dizzy's picture

If there's nothing ordered, then he doesn't have to,pay anything, ever. He can reduce as he sees fit, and refer her to the state CS guidelines if she bitches about it. She can then either accept it, or she herself can take a gamble and file. This is all just IMO.

tnic779's picture

BUT then if you stay out of the system its risky too... dh got taken to cs court bm claimed he never paid her a dime judge ruled 13 thousand in arears until he produced copies of checks. He turned in checks now BM is facing charges for lying.

ocs's picture

Must be different in the US. In Canada, court order or not, CS must be paid. We recently went to court, because DH clawed back CS for a few reasons. He actually had a backbone this time and told BM to take him to court, but he was sick of her shit. (SD is 14 and a court order was JUST filed)

When in front of the judge, he had to prove CS payments dating to 2000, since he was able to prove payment, and never a missed one, BM got slapped, told to behave and shut up.

zerostepdrama's picture

Seriously I would never pay someone outright money for CS without going to court/CS office over it. I would want to know exactly how much I owe. I would want it to be tracked through the system so there is no question what I paid. Most importantly I wouldnt want to be paying someone more money then I had to, especially my ex.

ocs's picture

There is a formula that you input your salary and how many days a week you have your kid. It spits out how much you owe. (CS, not alimony) Our BM is too stupid to read, so even when DH showed her a tax form with his salary, she was still convinced she was owed more.

In Canada they don't garnish wages unless you are a deadbeat or there is reason to think payment will not be made, it is up to the Biodad/Mom in question to pay.

I agree with the court order though, BM is too high conflict for anything else. When she heard in court that she was owed to the PENNY what DH was paying, she STFU.

onthefence2's picture

DO NOT GET AN ATTORNEY AND DO NOT GO THROUGH THE COURTS!!! He should, however, mark every check "child support" and keep a copy of all these checks going forward. Every month, print out the canceled check or make a copy, depending on how you get it back. That way he isn't scrambling to find them all IF she ever wants to go to court. He should also keep track of what's spent on the child.

There are so many posting here saying that they don't have CO's because MOST people do NOT go through the courts. I've been doing a lot of research lately because of the movie Divorce Corp. which is about the corruption in family court across the country. (Get the movie from Amazon for $20 if you want to know what you're getting into). As long as the bm seems to be "workable", work her. Once she has an attorney, or you are in the system, you will NEVER get out, and you will have some idiot stranger telling you what you can and can't do with your own kid. And the kid's college money will be paying for your attorney's vacations. Don't do it.

christinen's picture

Why in God's name would you pay her more than what you would be ordered by a court, especially when you have her 50% of the time??

Pinki3663's picture

Just a little FYI. My DH was paying child support weekly to BM when it wasn't court ordered, Thinking it was the right thing to do. He wrote "child support" in the memo on each and every check. The judge over their child support ask when they separated so he would know when to back date the child support. My DH told him that he had been paying since the day he left and had copies of every single check. The judge turned to BM and said it didn't matter that he paid her it was a gift, he would still back date it if that is what she felt was "fair"

Basically the judge let BM decide how bad she wanted to screw DH over. It doesn't matter how much documentation you have all that matters is getting a judge that isnt a bias piece of shit. Good luck to you.

abugandabean's picture

In our state they back date to the day she files. I know this from my divorce. He does write on every check that it is child support for the child so we are covered there. They were never married so there is no alimony or anything involved either and so they can't backdate to the day they separated. Furthermore for the first 9 months or so he had primary custody of SD and she didn't give him a cent nor did he ask her.

The reason he pays more than he "should" I have no idea. Basically because we don't know how to get a CO for CS when we are the payers. I suppose we oculd end up paying more that is not my understanding from the calculators that are around and from what I've come up with but even if we pay more I don't care if it means stuff like this ends. She asks for extras all the time when she's on HUD housing (pays 100 for rent a month), gets food stamps so doesn't have to pay out of pocket for food), gets disability for another one of her children, etc. We are going to the courthouse on Tuesday to get this taken care of though. We've done the online calculators and he has CS going to other children too and when she does the online calculators she conventionally leaves that off of the calculations and thinks she will be getting more. She's a trip. She should be grateful for the amount she gets and how often he takes SD. My CS isn't court ordered either although my ex and I are borderline friends so it's a non issue but I wouldn't ask for anything else! We agreed on what we agreed and if I'm not happy I have the right to file!

SHe has no money to get a lawyer she can't even use the internet so finding a pro bono lawyer is out of the question I'm sure. Supposedly her Mom has money although she and her Mom don't have a good relationship and her mom thinks that FDH should have SD full time anyway so I don't know that she'd give her money for this issue.

I just can't wait to file and be done with all of the guessing and wondering.

vickimill26's picture

I am a big supporter of going through the court system. Either party can request to do so in our state. DH was paying BM by check the CO CS. She would rip up the checks claiming it wasn't enough. One year, the principal, and DH landlord at the time, came to DH and said if the children's tuition was not paid, they would not be allowed back in January. Up until then, they had split the tuition bill. So, he paid the full amount due. He asked her if he paid her half, could that count as CS. She said "of course, that would be great". Two months later, his bank accounts were levied to the amount of $12,000. He went to court, cleared up all but $4000 and change, the amount of tuition he paid her half, plus a couple of ripped up checks.
Bottom line, if he had been paying through the courts, she would not have been able to extort the tuition money out of him. BTW, tuition was supposed to be paid by her according to the final decree of divorce. He just felt responsible to pay.