You are here

Cyberbullying-Off Topic-

stepwitch's picture

Sorry this is off topic, but I'm very curious if anyone here has ever experienced Cyber bullying.. I have a grown SD and two BK. My two bio children (13 & 16) are on the computer quite frequently and even though I monitor their computer activity, I am worried that they might not tell me about it. What do you do about it? I personally have not experienced this, although I have had some confrontation that I keeps coming back...

Here is a YouTube link I would like to share:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2kFVXDzKFc

Question 1: Have you or your children ever experienced this?
Question 2: What was your solution?

PS: Please note, that it is not ok with the writer to be copied and pasted, linked or tagged - my permission has not been granted...

SerendipitySM's picture

I have been lucky enough to never have to deal with anything like that. In this day and age it's a very scary thing!!

Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist. - George Carlin

The Principlist's picture

I have never experienced this, but I do know that it has become a major issue in the techno-age. The other night at the kids open house, we had to watch a video on bullying and they were explaining about the whole cyber-bullying. It has become such an issue with the MySpace, Facebook and the million other blog sites. I think oftentimes people say and do things that they may consider "funny" but the recipient does not. As we've stated so many times, that in the case of text, one can not get the true meaning behind a statment because well some things just get lost in translation without the added effect of voice inflection, facial expressions and/or body language. In any event, I think one should be extra careful in getting their point across online because things can so easily be misconstrued. But then again, there are bullies in real life and I'm sure they've got computers. Smile

Oh and no my kids have not experienced it either. The two younger ones don't have email or myspace and the oldest one just doesn't give a sh!T. She's much more ballsy than I am. We've said from the time she was three that no one would ever walk over her. They may try but she bites back. Dirol

Good Luck with that.

Step Mother's Motto this week is:

You don't have to LOVE me, you don't even have to LIKE me... But you will RESPECT me.

Catch22's picture

My son hasn't had this but I am sure it goes on..more in Oz from teens on Phones texting from people they know. I have taught my kids to be kind and if they are bullied to stand up for themselves.

I could never think that CB could really effect me unless I let it. I understand if it were someone you know in the flesh, but someone I don't know half way round the world...Not so much. I would instruct my kids to adopt the attitude that you will not control my feelings, I control how I feel, stay away from them and most of all let it go.

Catch xx
*Mean People Suck*