You are here

custody change?

neverbeenhereb4's picture

Does anyone know what the process is, or atleast where i can look to find out? 13 yr sd thinking of choosing to live with dad. is she old enough? do we need a lawyer? how do we go about adjusting child support?

its for us to get her. shes unhappy with mb moving them far away to follow her latest bf. nothing has been decided, i was just wondering if we did pursue it, how would we start and is it very costly? do we have to sue for custody? was hoping we could just file something with court costs and since shes older maybe a judge would say ok. haha perfect world right

wow great that sounds easy enough to start with. at the point bm fights it (she wont stand for losing free money) then would we have to have attorneys? or do we just all go to court and as you said, state our cases?

SMof2Girls's picture

I am dreading when my skids reach this age. SD7 told us the other day that when she's old enough she gets to pick where she wants to live.

DH told her that until she's 18, she has to spend time with both of her parents, no matter where she lives during the school year. He also told her that it's not her choice, but if she wants to talk to the judge and tell him what she wants, he might consider that in his decision. But regardless, it's not HER decision to make.

She seemed a little confused .. I could see the gears turning in her head as she processed this as compared to what BM has been telling her. Weird part is DH has never threatened or actively tried to take the girls for school years .. we're okay with the current arrangement, as long as BM doesn't withhold visitation or make life difficult. So why even bother discussing this with the kids now?