You are here

Covid

ladybug1974's picture

HI so 1 more Forum:) 

With the Covid cases going up again ( im in BC ) is everytone still doing the excahnge of kids still ? and schools opened up yesterday to boot . Is everyone still doing the excahnge for now ? 

ESMOD's picture

Unless there is someone in your household who is highly susceptible.. and the balance of your household is taking extreme measures.. working only from home.. not seeing other people outside the home.. I think that parents should endeavour to meet their visitation schedules.  Even if the home can't be the venue.. the parent does not stop being a parent.

ladybug1974's picture

Makes sense.. My mum helps me watch my dog when i go to work on days i cant take himto work, plus we are very close and see oy=ther very often ( she has breast cancer ) i have a auto immune desiese so i have to be carefull as well ) 

tog redux's picture

In general, custody orders continue during the pandemic. If people want to stop visitation to their own home, they certainly can, but I don't think it makes sense unless you are highly vulnerable, given that this will be going for a while yet.

How high is your COVID rate? Here in NY, it's below 1%.  I believe much of Canada is only at around 2%?

Cover1W's picture

YSD is still week on/week off.  School is 100% virtual.

YSD is paranoid about COVID, or anything really, so she's safe and I think BM is very strict about it too.

In reality to week on/week off is good, it's a normal schedule, no mid-week exchanges for one or two days then back again for another 4 or 5. If school ever re-opens in person she'll be with BM most of the time as that's where her HS is.

ladybug1974's picture

School is open open it opened yesterday, one is 7 school then day care, on is 14 takes 2 buses to school . 

tog redux's picture

I looked it up and it does appear BC is spiking, isn't it? I think it's up to you and DH whether or not you feel comfortable having your skids come over.

ladybug1974's picture

Thank you Smile I did say we will take them this weelend and keep and eye out for the next visitation as it is going up daily . I just as everyone else what this over.

ndc's picture

We're still doing our regular 2/2/5/5 schedule.  In our county, the positivity rate is over 5% (I'm not sure of the exact number) and trending up.  But we have very few governmental restrictions, and when we did have a stay at home order custody exchanges were an exception.  The kids are back at school full time (in-person), they ride to school on the bus (and no changes were made to bus routes or schedules, so it's just as crowded as it was before covid), DH goes to work every day (and has been throughout the pandemic), BM takes no precautions whatsoever - has parties, goes to parties, basically lives her life as she otherwise would.  We have a state mask order in effect for the  moment (it expires in a few weeks), but in many areas it's honored mostly in the breach.  Small wonder the virus isn't under control.  

With everything else going on pretty close to normally, it'd be hard to argue to DH that we shouldn't have the skids here.  Early on in the pandemic I was very worried about my baby, since she was quite young with an undeveloped immune system, but she's 6 months older now and I'm not as worried.  

Rags's picture

The Gov't can say what they want about visitation, if the NCP refuses, they can't do a thing.

Peach's picture

BM refuses to allow my stepkid (who is 17 BTW) to come over because we see my grandchildren.  She stated that they are vectors and if we wanted to see SS, then we can stop seeing my GKids.  I will not stop seeing my grandkids for anyone.  They are in my very small circle and everyone is taking precautions.  We haven't see SS since COVID started.  He was not allowed to see DH on Father's Day even at the end of the driveway with a mask on and 6 ft spacing.  However, DH was "allowed" to drop off expensive birthday gifts at the end of the driveway.  He had a quick conversation that BM listened in on then texted DH later about.

ElleP23's picture

I am SO grateful that my SD10's parent's were willing to tweak her schedule due to the pandemic... her visits at each house are now six weeks long instead of two weeks, so that we can switch after holiday breaks when her other parents haven't been around the kids they teach in 5+ days. I know it's harder with younger kids and for some this is just not an option, but for those who may be able to swing it, stretching out the stints could reduce switches (and therefore chances of catching COVID).

Also, while my patience is really running thin with my stepdaughter, the longer visit is forcing me to face some things about her (she does not know how to do basic things because no one wants to go through the frustrating steps of teaching someone who has ADHD and major impulse control problems--Tourette's Syndrom). Hitting rock bottom can sometimes be a good thing though... we are doing the harder things and growing as a family... things that usually get ignored becuase usually "she's leaving soon anyway", easier to ignore that behavior, that lie, that mess. Also, I'm going to have six glorious weeks where I don't have to deal with they dysfunctional dynamic that follows her around...not all of that is her fault, but regardless of the reason, we are a much more relaxed family of 3 when she is not here. 

Stepmama2321's picture

I'm in the US and we are still continuing regular schedule. The kids are still doing distance learning.