You are here

"College Classes" in high school

CLove's picture

So, here it is a lovely Saturday morning. And what am I doing? Im on here enjoying hot coffee on a gray day and reading and commenting.

Ill be going out to do my own thing soon, but will respond later to any comments or thoughts or hopefully well-wishes.

SD15 Backstabber/Munchkin is driving me crazy. I also think that she is telling a bunch of lies.

Heres how shes driving me crazy.

Preface this to say that I know that its not a BIG deal, and I know that compared to everything else here its not super bad...but its still driving me up the wall and I need to get out to escape the crazy feeling.

Dishes. Attitude. The "your bothering me" sigh. Lazy. Acting like a guest, but also acting like she lives here. Happy last night, mopey this morning as I politely tell her I washed all the dishes (including hers from last night) can she please wash the pot (singluar) and pan (singuar). Almost 2 hours later, nothing.

I feel like I have this open wound, and it feels ok as long as the bandaid is on, but rip that sucker off and the slightest breeze is painful. Of course husband is off fishing again. If I mention it, he will get angry, text her and she will come flopping out with her floppy bowl cut hair and floppy attitude. So - either I say nothing, and stew, say nothing and leave, or say something and have argument. Or DO the freaking things and get even more pissed and have an effed up weekend. I am having flashbacks to Feral Forger SD who was exactly the same at her age..

Speaking of Feral Forger S22. When I asked about her the other night, SD15 B/M laughed about how she is starting to be more competitive, as she is moving through highschool. She mentioned Toxic Troll BM was going to sign her up for driving class, and FF said she wanted to get her permit too (I think here in CA you just take driving written and moving test no permit required, but she wouldt know that because she never attempted it)

Plus, SD15 B/M mentioned that SHE is technically taking college classes, while in high school. I just smiled and went hmmmm.

I think she is totally fibbing. How can you take advanced placement classes with a C average - F in art and D in orchestra, Do they JUST look at your performance in ONE subject and if you are an A in science or something, you can take AP in just that subject? All the information I read indicates your GPA needs to be on the higher side...

So, Ill be heading out for a nice lunch and shopping soon...a trip to the gym also...just to get out of the "House of Sloth". I dont need anymore attitude or accusations.

CLove's picture

She did come out to eat chips and onion dip and washed the pot and pan, but left the remnants of the pan in the drain and the spatula...

Im going crazy I just know it...

Dogmom1321's picture

The part about "If I say anything..." SO TRUE. If I mention something to DH, it's immediately "I'll say something to her." Which doesn't accomplish ANYTHING. SD11 just gets defensive and in a pissy mood. DH sulks because he realizes he has done a piss poor job of parenting. And I'm the one that gets the stink eye. 

Why is everything confrontational? I don't think SD11 has uttered the word "okay" once in her entire life. She just loves the drama and will argue that the sky isn't blue, just for attention. 

CLove's picture

Than peaceful and easygoing. Once the drama stops you actually have to do something useful for a change. The drama kibbles.

Yep. Its just easier to do it myself that deal with the big drama sigh. And the attitude.

Rags's picture

I have an aversion to that word when it is misused.  My SIL uses it in all kinds of inappropriate applications and usually when she uses it... she is lying.

"Technically Aunt XXXXX gave us that truck as a wedding present and we don't have  to pay her back." BULLSHIT! She sold it to you, you POS lying thief.

"Technically........" more bullshit.

Dual credit classes are a pretty regular thing these days.  Though I doubt a barely passing kid would be allowed to take them.

CLove's picture

She got an a and a few bs to balance out the d and f.

BUT that being said, AP classes - Ive since found out that a test is required to have them become college credit. I wonder if simply completing the class will give high school graduation credit.

Someoneelse's picture

the class itself acts as an advanced placement, so she'll get extra GPA points, so if she gets an A it would be "weighed" higher than a 4.0 (i think it weighs at a 4.5) if she FAILS the class, she wouldn't get any credit for it, but it will still count toward her GPA, it would be pointless to take a dual credit class and NOT take the exam, as the whole point is get a college course out of the way

Livingoutloud's picture

Yes you can take AP classes and have dual enrollment in college. You don't need to be a stellar student to be doing that. Plus her grades in art and orchestra aren't even relevant.  Why does it matter? No your GPA does not need to be anything in particular 

I'd not be asking one SD about the other, unless you want drama. If I hypothetically wanted to know something about one SD, I ask that SD or ask my DH. Not sure why you ask YSD all these questions, nothing good comes out of it as they don't have good relationship. Neither do mine so I avoid drama by not asking one about the other  

if your DH wants to fish during visitation he either should take YSD with him or tell her to stay at her mothers. You seem to always stuck with her while he enjoys his childless time 

Winterglow's picture

I thought this was already settled, that if he wanted to go fishing he'd take his daughter with him because she was no longer your responsibility. What happened there? 

CLove's picture

I decided to take incremental stands rather than a bog stand.

It is repetition that will get the message across, not a one-time thing.

So, I excuse myself from the household on my own time and in my own way. I do not cook or do anything for her, if he leaves her alone, I do not speak to her. No more long talks. Shes got her friends for that...but she does get to see snippets of my life here and there it cant be helped. For the most part I keep myself to myself when she is over.

YAY, to this being a "week off"...!

Someoneelse's picture

I totally understand, you can only disengage "so much". It's almost impossible to live my life in a way i see comfortable without including SD in it SOMEWHAT. But man, when I get time WITHOUT SD, it is AAAMMMMAAAAZIING , I love that she hasn't been here, and I haven't dealt with her AT ALL in 2 months because she's "teaching us a lesson" about confronting her BS ROFL

CLove's picture

The relevancy. Whether its a by-subject thing or is it GPA based. Got my answeres there. With AP, she still has to take a test and pass and I read that its quite rigorous.

Yeah, Ive been staying away. Mostly. I regretted my question as soon as it came out of my mouth. Just not interested anymore.

I decided to just be as gone as I can be and if he questions it, then I can use her as the excuse. After the blow out, I decided taking a direct stand wasnt going to work for my purposes and decided to take "incremental stands". Mentioning the fact that I dont really want to be around the house when shes there...that Im taking off and then go out and have fun and send him the photos and videos.

No more chances...no more anything.

lala-land's picture

At least SD will spend less time in uni if she is actually taking and passing these classes.  I've got SD26 into her eighth year of uni and still no degree. She just informed us that it will be another 2 years before she gets her degree and then she has to do at least a masters degree if she wants a job in her chosen field.  And she is doing better than SS28, who had to redo all of his high school math and science courses to get into uni and finally when he got in last year, failed or dropped all of his classes.  SD30, who barely made it out of high school, decided to become a single parent this year and now thinks she should go to uni too.  All these skids live in lala-land.

CLove's picture

Thats horribly sad! And thats this old ladys furture generation!!!

Who is going to support the parents in their old age?

notarelative's picture

As others have mentioned after taking the class you have to pass the AP test. Then after you pass the AP test, the college has to accept it. Not all passing scores will be accepted for credit at all colleges. It has to be a class that will fit the criteria for the chosen major. 

SD15 may find an AP class less forgiving of late work. 

A hmmm.... that's nice is the perfect response. 

CLove's picture

Ive got the roster.

Ok, thats interesting.

I just wonder if not taking the test but taking the class will still get her high school credit for the class?

advice.only2's picture

AP classes are super hard, BS took AP History his junior year along with all of his other classes and he struggled to keep up with the AP class.  He did take the test and failed it, he said half the students in the class (13) failed the test.  So no AP classes aren't usually being taken by the C-F range students.  Spawn never took any AP classes and she was a D-F student.   BD15 was offered some advanced classes for her Sophmore year and she declined them. 

CLove's picture

Which is hard as well as a lot of work and memorizing...lol. Well, a few blog posts ago, when I was putrid with anger, I did mention that I would find some sort of twisted satisfaction in watching her fail.

I watched her stumble her way through "honors" English and ended up barely with a c, after almost failing.

SO, with all her infinite wisdome we shall see if she somehow gains the fortitude to excel at the regular classes and then the Chemistry class and pass the test and get college credit. My breath is bated.

Harry's picture

Is not careing about what goes on in school.  First you have no input in her schooling. You are not paying for it.

If she takes AP courses or not. What does it matter in the big picture?  If she passes or fail them what her grade point is really doesn't matter.   No matter what you do or not it's going to be your fault.  So better to do nothing and that being your fault

CLove's picture

And feelling better since last weekend! Thank you for your response and support. Always appreciated.

Rags's picture

Dual credit courses were not a big issue when I was in HS.  I attended a Military boarding school that was Grade 7-12 and also a JC.  I took a number of college classes to fullfill my HS course requirements and had those same classes on a separate JC transcript.  I probably could have completed both HS and an AA at the same time but I only took a few JC classes my Jr. year and a number my Sr. year. 

I am not sure how the dual credit thing works in HS these days.  I do know that the ACC RR campus in the Austin Tx. area has a dedicated early college high school integrated into the ACC campus.  Kids graduate HS in 4 years with both a HS diploma and an AA degree.