You are here

Choice wife or children

Tornstorm's picture

I will summarize my situation but do not have the time to put all of the detail in place.   I have been remarried for 7 years to a woman with 3 children and I have 3 children of my own(17, 15, 13).  There has been a lot of tension in our household between my children and my wife for probably 5 years.   Over that timeframe I have made many mistakes trying to navigate this relationship, putting in that I believe there is a fair amount of negativity coming from my ex wife about things that occur at my house.  This has been a roller coaster over many years without many highs.   

We are currently at a full breaking point and my two oldest children have confided in my quietly and as of late that they no longer can live with my wife and are not willing to try.    Their problem with my wife stems back about 5 years ago where she let extreme negativity from my ex-wife affect the way she treated my children and actually changed custody schedules so our kids would not intermix as much.  Across these same years my wife has developed a dislike for my children and cites disrespect and lack of a voice in her own house as this has built.   Throughout this time as my wife tries diligently to hold her feelings for my kids away from them the venom is often taken out upon me.

My two oldest have gone to live with their mother and blame me for them living in this horrible situation.   I believe that I am in a situation where I need to choose between my wife and my children and if I stay married to my wife I will lose my children and obviously if I move out and take my kids back, I will lose my wife.

I do believe in the sanctity of marriage and have tried very hard across 5 years enduring a roller coaster of emotions most of which is negative - I believe I have hit my breaking point and my wife is saying that I am just giving up on our marriage and picking the kids, which in her opinion are completely at fault.   Looking for any and all advice.....

Jcksjj's picture

Well theres alot to consider. Are the kids actually at fault? Sometimes the difference in COD vs intact situations is that the kids have a place to run to if they dont want to follow rules. Intact families the kids just have to suck it up and deal because theres no other house to go to. SM might just be the scapegoat.

Also, 2 of the kids are very close to leaving home age. Is it worth losing your partner when the kids are almost out of the house anyway? 

hereiam's picture

Their problem with my wife stems back about 5 years ago where she let extreme negativity from my ex-wife affect the way she treated my children

How did/does your wife treat your children? Can you objectively say that she did or didn't treat them badly and create a toxic environment?

I know that my husband would never have put up with me treating his daughter (now, 28) badly, especially just because I didn't like his ex-wife. I was the adult, I would have never taken BM's negativity out on my SD.

Across these same years my wife has developed a dislike for my children and cites disrespect and lack of a voice in her own house

How have your children treated your wife? Again, can you look at it objectively?

Frankly, when you use the word "venom" regarding your wife, it doesn't put her in the best of light and makes me feel bad for your kids.

ldvilen's picture

I'm going to take this quote and run with it a bit: "Their problem with my wife stems back about 5 years ago where she let extreme negativity from my ex-wife affect the way she treated my children."  So, if you remove the middle from this, it sounds like the problem started with your ex-wife and is now ending with SM being a be.atch and the kids not wanting to live with her (and you) any more.  How did this occur?  My guess is it is the usual manipulative, controlling BM and weak, enabling DH = step hell.

I have no way of truly knowing what went on inbetween, but I can tell you, the main reason SMs and step-kids do not get along is because of the bios.  Again, I'll run with that quote and interject inbetween, looking at it from what may be the SM's perspective: Their problem with my wife [Was the problem with your wife?, or were you kowtowing to your ex- and leaving your wife with no support] stems back about 5 years ago where she let extreme negativity from my ex-wife [What was this extreme negativity?  Was BM calling SM a whore, was BM grilling the kids about everything that went on there, was BM doing everything she could to make SM look like an a$$ and alienate her as much as she could from the kids?  And, how did you repond to that?  Again, did you just act like I'm not getting involved; I don't want to get in the middle of my own divorce, but SM can be put in the middle of someone else's divorce?; did you speak with your children about how inappropriate BM was acting?]  affect the way she treated my children. [Did she treat your children horribly, or did she just disengage?  Maybe SM felt alone and like she was doing for everyone and being treated like a be.atch family servant from hell and just thought, I'm done!]  

Again, I'm just running with this.  Who knows, maybe she really is one of the few truly evil SMs, but since it began with the ex-wife and is probably going to end with SM leaving, I guess you'd say the extreme negativity from your ex- won out!  You cannot let your ex-wife treat your current wife like a whore, and look the other way, and give your current wife little to no support, and then at the end, act like it is all SM's fault.  This happens quite a bit.

Let's face it, a man can only have one wife, and I'd imagine you chose your ex- over your current wife about 5 years ago all the way to the present.  I heard from one BM who said that of course the BM is going to do everything she can to make life a hell for the new woman.  I don't think that it is necessarily every BM that does this, but perhaps most.  I don't know.  At least some.  In your case, BM is going to win; she played you all.  All she had to do, maybe, is criticize SM every chance she got with her kids and everyone else, and you just sat there not wanting to be put in the middle.  And, let SM, your wife, fend for herself. 

I'd suggest a counselor too, but don't you go around thinking that you did nothing wrong.  All that is necessary for evil to prevail is for good people to do nothing, and you chose to do nothing, until the end, and now you're running around trying to claim it is all Evil SM's fault.  I have my doubts.

STaround's picture

with another adult on kids.  Never.   You can assume the wife just disengaged, but I doubt older kids refused to come over becaue of that.   I hope OP realizes that on Stalk, the majority assume SMs are perfect and the dad and kids are wrong.  

I suggested counseling, and hope not too late. 

ldvilen's picture

You're reading way more into it, intentionally, to insinuate I'm some sort of a$$.  I never stated nor implied that it is OK for an adult to take out their frustration with another adult on kids.  Never.  

And, by the way, older kids who have been PAS'd by BM, regularly refuse to come over.  It's another win for BM.  Steptalk is a site where step-parents come to vent.  Of course, step-parents are going to be supportive of each other here.  Really!  Why did the OP come here?  Probably for the SP perspective because, after all, the site is called StepTalk and not "AllStepsCanGoToHell."

BethAnne's picture

If your children are happier living with their mother then perhaps that is for the best. You can explain to them that people make mistakes and that you could have handled the home situation better but that you care about them and want them to be happy where they live. The majority of kids leave home at some point anyway, these children are just leaving your home a little earlier. You can still have a realtionship with them while they live with their mother and beyond that into adulthood. If the relationship between them and your wife is severly damaged right now then keep them all apart. See your children outside of your home and away from your wife. 

Accept that all of the adults involved played a part in this situation, you, your wife and your ex. Children learn disrespect when they are taught it and not set straight by others when they start to show disrespect. Being a step parent can be tricky and your wife may have let her emotions about adult issues seep through, you seem to also have failed in a large extent to insist on children behaving properly in your home and your ex seems to have fed the children her negative views of your wife (and possibly you). The children are partially at fualt but mostly it is all of the adults around who have moulded them that way. If, as they grow and mature and move out into the world, they continue to display the same behaviors then they will have to face thier own responsibility for their actions.

To move past this with your wife removing the children is only part of the solution. You both need to accept your portion of responsibility for what got you to this point. You need to start understanding one another better, communicating better and sticking up for each other and your relationship. A good therapist will help you two to work through all of this. 

If you do not want to accept your part in all of this, do not want to try to save your marriage, or do not want to face not having your children visit your home then leaving is probably the only option that you are left with.

ndc's picture

There aren't enough facts and examples here to really determine what is going on, but just making assumptions, it doesn't reflect well on you and how you handled this.  Negativity from your ex-wife should not have been allowed.  Disrespect from your children should have been nipped in the bud.  Your wife should never be made to feel that she lacks a say in her own home.

Do you love your wife?  Do you want to spend the rest of your life with your wife?  If the answer is yes, get thee to marriage counseling as soon as possible.  And unless you can honestly say that your wife is mistreating your children and there is not a good reason for it (i.e, your kids also treating your wife badly), I would allow the two older children to go live with their mom, but I would do everything in my power to continue a relationship with them by seeing them regularly, taking them out to lunch or dinner, attending their events, etc.  You don't say what the custody arrangement is now.  Are they living with you full-time, do they come EOWE, or is it something in between?  I don't think it's necessarily true that allowing them to go live with their mother means you will lose them.  As  they get older they'll gain some perspective.  It is not uncommon for teens to make boneheaded decisions and later reconsider them once they mature.  There's no guarantee of that, but it's practically guaranteed that if you choose your kids, you've lost your wife.

tog redux's picture

More info needed - what was your ex-wife doing? Was she trying to turn the kids against your current wife and her kids? Were your kids rude to your wife and her kids? Why did she decide that she did not want all the kids to be together?

Do you discipline your kids? Do you allow them to make all decisions and take their side if you wife doesn't want them to do something? Do they help around the house? Do you elevate them to adult status and see no flaws in their behavior whatsoever, putting all the blame on your new wife? Does she take her "venom" out on you because you don't parent them properly and she's left cleaning up after them and being miserable when they are there?

If your ex-wife's goal was to turn the kids against your new wife, she might have succeeded. But it's hard to know what's going on without more info. 

STaround's picture

I dont think anyone can really tell what to do, without knowing all the facts.  Did you wife make your kids life miserable becuase of custody disputes? 

advice.only2's picture

Do you coddle your children and put them first, above all else?
Do you and your children treat your wife with respect and dignity?
Do you confind in your children about issues and fights you and your wife have?
Do you defer to your children when it comes to making important decisions?
Do your children hurt or belittle your wife in front of you and you say nothing?

If you can answer yes to one or more of those questions, then you need to take a good hard look at yourself and your parenting style.

Merry's picture

Can you tell us more about why your wife feels disrespected and has no voice in her home? That's not an unusual feeling for stepmothers, and maybe her feelings are entirely justified. And maybe she is a hateful witch who is impossible to live with. Some examples would help.

DHsfamilyfromhell's picture

You are being blamed for something. 

No one appears to have issued you ultimatums (ie the threat that they will never speak to you again, is the usual classic line).

This is the life you have at present. You need to find solutions, instead of possibly overdramatising stuff in your head.

Let your kids adjust to being with their mum, whilst maintaining the best relationship you possibly can with them. 

You can always attempt to renegotiate at a later date once the dust has settled, and possibly had counselling. 

Tornstorm's picture

This was a really interesting read

I have not said that I am not  at blame n this and I will try to answer a lot of questions.

Yes at the beginning I could have been better and handling and working with my ex.   My children are at fault in this situation as well as my ex, same for myself and my wife.   The tension in the house is not healthy for anyone

We have tried marriage therapy two separate times, we have done family therapy with my kids and my wife and both my wife and I are going to therapy individually.   My daughter has experienced ulcers from the stress, I have as well and my wifes children do not want to be in this house either because of the tension.  I have also spent a year out of the house previously due to the same situation.

With all of this being separated is in the interest of everytone getting  healthy, this is a tough situation for all.   

SteppedOut's picture

Whoa.

It sounds like y'all have given it your all. Sometimes love is not enough. Literally not one person in this attempted blended family are happy. 

My advice is to throw in the towel. 

BethAnne's picture

I’m not sure why you are hesitating. Call a divorce lawyer and a realtor tomorrow. 

Disneyfan's picture

Everyone that has to enter that house is unhappy and miserable.  It's time to walk away.  

Tornstorm's picture

Thank you for this response - I really like the quote 'The choice before you is not your wife or your children. It is instead a choice between never ending conflict and the possibility of a better quality of life.'

In talking with my wife and with others around this situation I hear a lot of 'well the kids won' or sounds like your wife lost and I continually think to myself that this is not a game and if it were we are all losers for the way we all currently perceive the situation and the loss and hurt that we have all encountered throughout.

Jcksjj's picture

You're right, it's not a game. But if the kids threw a tantrum and moved out hoping youd get rid of your wife it was a game to them and they did "win" and the people around you are right in that sense. 

STaround's picture

was nasty to his kids and they could not live with it, and he stays, she would win under that logic.

bananaseedo's picture

He actually doesn't say she was nasty to the skids....but of course YOU would ASSume that.

Jcksjj's picture

Also assuming; but I figured there would have been more examples given if she was. The big example given was that she changed her kids custody schedule to interact with his kids less, which I think she has every right to do and is much more about protecting her own kids then being nasty to skids.

hereiam's picture

You don't know that it was a game to them, or that they even threw a tantrum. In fact, he said, "my two oldest children have confided in me quietly and as of late that they no longer can live with my wife". You don't know that they hoped that he would leave his wife, they just did not want to live with her.

my wifes children do not want to be in this house either because of the tension.  I have also spent a year out of the house previously due to the same situation.

It doesn't sound like anybody wants to live with her.

Jcksjj's picture

That's what the IF was for. Idk if they're making it a my way or the highway thing or if they're just being reasonable and saying living at moms is for the best. 

Two of his wife's kids are in college according to his profile, so idk if it means much that they dont want to live there.

Maybe she is a tyrant, but I dont get why there hasnt been many examples of her behavior that's supposedly so terrible. He just keeps going on with the results of "what shes done." My read on the little bit of info there is is that he doesn't want to be with her anymore or doesnt want to deal with the mess that he admits to helping make and thinks the kids are the ticket to justifying a second divorce. 

I would also be interested to know why they each divorced before.

Rereading the original post though it actually seems more as though if anyone is "winning" it's the ex wife. Which makes me wonder if them choosing to live with her is having more of an impact on him because of the dynamic between him and the ex?

strugglingSM's picture

What role does your ex-wife play in all of this? What is your relationship like with her? It might not be a game to you, your wife, or your children, but if your ex is manipulating behind the scenes, it could be a game to her. 

I say this, because my DH and I have had similar struggles and similar conversations to the ones you describe in your posts. 

As a SM, you are expected to cede control in a lot of areas where a wife would generally not be expected to cede control. This is magnified when your DH feels guilt about his divorce or does not have strong boundaries with BM. 

I get along fine with my SSs, but I am disengaged, because the BM in my case, uses the children as pawns in her quest to ensure DH is unhappy. Both SSs are stressed by this, but it is her doing, not ours (e.g. she tells them repeatedly how much both DH and I "hate" her, so even though DH and I never say a negative word about her, the children have both been upset that we "hate" their mother. Nothing DH could say to them would calm them. He would repeatedly say to them, "I don't hate your mother" and their response would be "that's not true, dad, she tells us all the time how much you and strugglingSM hate her!" They would also go home and report everything back to BM, who would regularly contact DH to complain, berate, rage about everything at our house. She told DH, his family, and her family that it was traumatic for SSs to come to our home. DH went to counseling with one SS and they talked about how BM told SS how terrible his relationship was with DH. SS never said it was traumatic to come to our home. DH told him that if SS didn't want to come to our home, he wouldn't force him, that he wanted to have a relationship with him, but didn't want to fight. BM contacted DH to say he had no right to say that to SS and accused DH of lying to the counselor. 

I have separated myself from SSs because I need to protect myself from BM. One SS asks me questions all the time about my life and my job that I know he is not interested in himself (he's a young teen, he doesn't really care about what I do at work or how much money DH or I make). DH sometimes gets mad at me and says the same things you say about your wife - that I'm letting BM color my view of SSs. In many ways, he's right, because SSs come into my home and collect information for BM. It might not be entirely their choice, they are likely doing that to survive their existence with BM, but they are now teens, so they know what they are doing. I'm not allowed to ask them anything about BM or their home, I need to be careful about what I say around them in general, so as to not reveal any information that we don't want BM to have, and I can't speak to them like a parent, because DH is afraid that if they have to do anything they don't want to do at our house or if they are parented (e.g. not allowing them to use their phones 24/7), they will not want to come to our house. I definitely don't feel like I have a voice. 

That said, DH has prioritized our relationship, not at the expense of his children, but he and I have a lot of discussions where he has had to be open to my feelings as well. I've also pushed him to think about what he wants in our relationship. That said, DH has made it clear from the beginning that SSs need to respect me and it's not their choice whether I stay or go. At the time we met, DH had been divorced for nearly two years and he knew he wanted to have an adult relationship and that he wanted to prioritize that relationship, so he didn't give his children control over whether I stayed or not. 

Being in a relationship as a divorced father is difficult, especially if the ex-wife is high conflict, but if you want it to work, you need to be willing to support your wife and focus on building your relationship. That doesn't mean that the children don't get what they need, but it means that they are not the ones making decisions for the household and they don't hold more sway with you than your wife does. If you are not sure if you're able to do that, then you should end your relationship, because you're essentially pushing all of your unresolved baggage from your divorce on to your wife to solve. She didn't create the problems that led to your divorce, so she shouldn't be expected to fix them. She shouldn't be the one who has to make your kids feel better and she can't be the one who solves your conflicts with your ex wife. 

juststressedbeyondbelief's picture

Ahhhhhh, it's all craziness. Genepools aren't meant to be blended. I believe that humans are wired differently than to take in offspring that aren't theirs.

Yes, your kids left because they don't like your wife. Is it your wife's fault though? I'm going to say no. It's her house, her rules, just the same as it's your house - your rules. She's permissive of her own children because, well, they're her children. Yours are not. 

What's unfair about your situation is that YOU also have to tolerate HER kids. Disengage from her animals, and see if she offers you the same courtesies that you're offering her. If she does, and her kids end up leaving because you ain't Daddy, force the same expectation she has OF you onto HER.

That's my honest opinion. Men and women with kids already can't have their cake and eat it too. If they bring monsters in, they also have to be willing to tolerate monsters. (Or kick the monsters to the other parent). 

Do you think there's no resentment that her children are obviously  "The chosen ones"?

I'd personally return the behaviors.

I know that it's vindictive, but people often can see a prospective when they have a taste of their own medicine.

I'm not suggesting her abuse or mistreat her children, simply disengage and show that he's not their father, because he isnt.

Jcksjj's picture

The chosen ones? Lol what? People vary greatly personality wise and its not at all unlikely that her kids just happen to be easier going or higher in agreeableness. You've seriously never met people that either get along easily with nearly everyone or that are the opposite and constantly have issues getting along with others? That should be pretty obvious to anyone who lives on this planet. 

How do you know hes not already disengaged and they're just fine with it? They have a dad in the picture. It actually says in the post that she already was sending them to their dads when the other kids were there...

Jcksjj's picture

He said that she changed her kids custody schedule to be at their dads more when his kids were there. Your suggesting he disengage- wouldnt that be aiding in his disengagement already?

" affect the way she treated my children and actually changed custody schedules so our kids would not intermix as much. "

It's unclear whether he changed his childrens custody scedule, or she changed hers, from what is written.

My first impression was the "and changed custody custody schedules so our kids wouldn't intermix" meant that his kids came to his house less, or to their mother's more.

I want OP to clarify, really.

It's something you see a lot. "My kids can stay, but theirs have to go". I just want to see if "this" is "that".

Jcksjj's picture

It does happen. I'm just doubting it based on the rest of what's written. If her kids were awful and she was being a hypocrite that's pretty relevant and odd to leave out. Hes not responding a ton, so idk, maybe well see. It also says in his bio 2 of her kids are in college already so maybe they just aren't as relevant anymore. 

Harry's picture

I feel it's going to be very different.  If he giving some fault to the EX I am sure there more to it. 
you mus decide if you want a happy marriage, or live with your kids.  You now can not have both. Just remember on those cold night where you would be sleeping.  Wife, or yourself.   If you let your kids win, you will never have another relationship they will control your life 

Jcksjj's picture

Yep. It sounds like hes buying into some of the kids bullsh*t and is a weak dad that's about to screw over his wife and feels guilty about it 

lieutenant_dad's picture

You all screwed up the relationship and didn't/couldn't fix it. Put a bullet in your marriage, not because your kids are "making" you, but because it's a bit of a sham at this point. Then work with your own kids to make sure they are respectful and civil no matter who they are around.

This isn't kids versus wife. Your relationship with your kids needs to be fixed and you need to parent them better if they are, indeed, disrespectful. Your relationship with your wife is a dumpster fire that you two can't fix with help. The only solution is cut your losses and deal with your responsibility to raising kids who won't be a-hole adults.

This isn't that hard to figure out.

Merry's picture

You've been to marriage counseling twice. You've tried family therapy. You and your wife are both in individual therapy.

And yet you come to a bunch of strangers on the internet to seek advice? Why? Either all your therapists have all been terrible or you lack decision making skills (or fortitude).

I wish you all the best, I really do.

Winterglow's picture

There's another possibility - maybe OP hasn't heard the answer he was hoping for (that it's all his wife's fault) yet.

DPW's picture

Oh my gawd, time to pull the plug on this marriage. I really really really don't think it's going to work out.

tog redux's picture

OP, you still haven't answered the questions. HOW did your wife treat the kids that they are so stressed by? How did THEY treat HER?  Was she just the unreasonable evil stepmother or did they treat her badly? Did you parent them or let them get feral which stressed your wife? What did your ex-wife do to help turn them against your wife?

DHsfamilyfromhell's picture

You haven’t addressed what happened ‘when you spent a year out of the house’. 

did you separate for a year, or did you both have two separate houses and still see each other? Eg her and her kids/ you with yours, so everyone got a break. 

What went wrong? 

Sometimes kids do go and stay at mums most of the time. That’s what happens when parents separate, it’s not nice, but that’s life. 

Sometimes instead of constantly trying to change things we have to accept what is on the table so to speak and just get on with it. 

I actually think your kids would have moved out no matter who you were with, as someone pointed out earlier teenagers are always unhappy for one reason or another. 

Accept and adjust, rather than trying to keep (or get back) what you had. 

I think you don’t want to acknowledge that you you had a problem setting boundaries for your children, and when someone tried to set boundaries the kids were upset they couldn’t rule the roost and just went somewhere where there is less rules.

sandye21's picture

I agree with so many of the other posters here that it appears you placed your children over your marriage.  It would be interesting to know why you married your wife in the first place, and what your expectations were for her.  I really think many DHs marry women whom they assume will take over as a Mother rather than a wife.

In another post the Evil put forth the idea that many parents place their children as their top priority in their fist marriage which could be the reason for the failure of that marriage.  I know now (a little late) this was at least part of the reason DH chose to marry me.  The difference was, I didn't have the same rights as BM.  I was to merely play the role - smile, sacrifice and stay quiet.  SD had a completely different agenda.  She didn't need another Mother.  She already had a Mother who didn't want to share the job.  Instead, I was an obstacle to her relationship with DH.  This leaves a SM juggling on the high wire.  The 'bonus' for DH and skids is that NOW they have a handy scapegoat they can blame everything on.

You wrote that you are at a breaking point.  But I've got news: There's nothing to break when you weren't 'together' in the begriming.  The dead give-away was in your second sentence when you referred to your "remarraige" rather than "marriage".  In the last paragraph you wrote, " I believe I have hit MY breaking point--" instead of "WE are at OUR breaking point." This speaks volumes..

You obviously value your children - and BM - far more than this woman whom you 'chose' to 'remarry'.  Please do this poor woman a favor and let her go on to live a happy life without trying to live up to the unfair and unrealistic expectations you have placed upon her. 

ldvilen's picture

Maybe he’ll really like this quote too:  “You wrote that you are at a breaking point.  But I've got news: There's nothing to break when you weren't 'together' in the beginning."

daphne_40x's picture

You are doomed to repeat this scenario with another.  Despite your wording "venom" and a bias towards blaming your current wife, i don't necessarily see much that shows that she is unreasonable.  The fact that she doesn't feel that she has a voice in her own house is a huge problem and I believe that you have participated in allowing this to happen.  It's clear to me that you don't empathize with it enough to take responsibility to ensure that she does feel heard.  

You can blame her, start over and rebuild your relationship with your kids.  Maybe wait until they hit college and start again.  Or try again before then.  But considering that you don't seem to have a handle in your responsibility in your wife not feeling heard, you are probably going to make the same mistakes.

Rags's picture

Well, IMHO the facts are that you have failed your wife, you have failed your marriage, you have failed your children and you have failed yourself.

So, at this point you have little choice but to choose yourself and let both you wife and your children know that you are done with tolerating crap from any of them.  Inform your wife that her irrational hate for your children will no longer be tolerated and inform your children of their own contributions to the situation and their crap will not be tolerated.  You should have shut your XW up long ago rather than tolerate her toxic crap that offended your bride and polluted your children.

Neither your wife nor your children are without fault in all of this and YOU are the common denominator. You should never have allowed your toxic and shallow gene pool to destroy your bride's happiness.  Shame on you.

You have a ton of work to do to salvage your marriage, salvage a relationship with your children and to make a tolerable life for yourself.

Be prepared for the single life and to be estranged from your children wich is the most likely outcome at this late stage of the game.

Good luck.

Breanna123's picture

I just recently left my fiancé. He chose his kids over me. Not directly of course. But by choosing to allow them to disrespect me, he left very little room to stay with him. After 2.5 years of taking care of his small kids, having my schedule changed last minute because of his ex, feeling invisible when his kids were around and finally, enduring disrespect from him and his children, I left.

so before you go choosing your kids over the woman you CHOSE to bring into your life, just know one thing:

this scenario with your wife will play over and over again with future partners you choose until you die, a lonely old man. After all, no one is their mom.

good luck!!

MissJulsie's picture

Maybe I haven't been reading every single post with a fine tooth comb, but I haven't got the impression that you really love your wife anyway. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I haven't seen you say "I love my wife very, very much ".  I did see you write that you respect the sanctity of marriage. But that's it. 

readingandlearning's picture

You have given your kids way too much power in the household. Your wife does not sound nasty nor abusive in any sense. Fed up? Disengaged? Yes and justifiably so. Congratulations on another failed relationship.  You have also taught your children they call the shots in the process and have way too much power. Your ex, your lack of boundaries and your lack of parenting are also reasons why your kids behave this way. If you tolarate your ex's and kids crap they will continue with their crap because they know they can get away with it.