You are here

Can't Find Online Support Forum For Stepchildren.

Not-the-mom's picture

I thought it would be interesting to see if there were any online support forums for stepchildren. A place where they can go - like we do here - and vent. Someplace I could send my stepkids to so THEY could vent ANONYMOUSLY about ME! Biggrin Wink

I can't find ONE! I did find a lot of Stepparent support groups.

One reason I think there is no online stepchildren support forum is that is might turn into "Psycho Central" - just a bunch of whining, complaining, self-centered narcissists competing for who has it the worst. Blum 3

I am surprised I couldn't find one. As I have shared before, I was widowed after my first husband died, and there was an online support forum for children whose parent(s) died. I thought there would at least be something for children who have a stepparent.

Anyone heard of one?

Not-the-mom's picture

Facebook is NOT anonymous! :O

Also, it is FULL of narcissitic people fighting for attention.

I was thinking of a more "productive" venue for them to go to. Biggrin

Auteur's picture

Dont' think they *need* support as most of them have their parents (aka the world) by the short hairs.

Back in the day, kids had DIARIES!

Not-the-mom's picture

I checked that ACOD's out, and the first post I saw was:
"How can I connect my laptop to a wireless capable printer?"

OK, I guess that is a serious issue for that person to ask on an adult children of divorced parents. To be fair, I am sure that stuff happens here sometimes - Yes....No?

Then I read some posts, and most of them were from adopted children. They were talking about being adopted. :?

Then there was a forum where you had to be a "member" to access - so I thought "If I really want to snoop there, I can ask my SS's fiance to get in." Blum 3 Just kidding. Wink

Then there are these "subjects" that appear on the main page. You click on them and read the article. I clicked on the one for wedding planning when divorced parents are involved.

It was mostly the persons "opinions" that were erroneous and not in keeping with trusted etiquette resouces. But....there was one section I did agree with -

Speeches -

"I think it’s important to give all of the parents an opportunity to speak at the reception and to acknowledge all of them in your speech as well. If you’re concerned about time, you could ask them to keep their speeches within a certain length, but snubbing a set in this regard wouldn’t be acceptable."

Gee, it would have been nice if my SD and her hubby and read THAT before they disrespected my DH at their wedding! Blum 3

Anyway, I just found it interesting to cruise through that forum for children of divorced parents. From what I could see, it wasn't that helpful. Too bad, I think there is a BIG need for a GOOD place for grown children of divorced parents to get QUALITY advise.

Dory's picture

This looks like a very good one! Just read a couple of the skids' "complaints" and I think this should give very good insight. Having said that, even with insight into their "thinking" and "feelings" - it still doesn't make our position any easier Sad

Not-the-mom's picture

No it doesn't Dory, but if they have a place to vent, maybe it will help them "detox" some of their anger - hopefully.

They might also see that their situation could have been a LOT WORSE!

I could understand their attitudes better if they had a rotten, struggling childhood. Verbal abuse in the house, parents having knock-down-drag-out fights, no money, etc...

There were some family issues that came up with the daugher, but the parents had good insurance, were able to get her the best help she could have, etc...

Personally, I think they were coddled TOO much. They still feel entitled and want to be in control of everything. My DH's mother said that my SD had her father "wrapped around his little finger".