You are here

Can you have Medicaid and Private Insurance?

stronggirl's picture

My husband has always provided insurance on my SS16. very good insurance, and since Jan 6th, he was given temporary custody and now ss16 lives with us. today I took ss16 to the doctor and was told that he had allergies, so the doctor called in allegra and something else. When I went to pick them up, before I gave them the insurance card I was told that our insurance did not cover allegra and that there was no copay for the nasal spray. I told the lady that I was coming in. As I am walking in it hits me that they think I am HER. So I ask for the pharmasist and ask how I do not have a copay...in all my years I have never gotten anything for free...then she sees my insurance card in my hand. I ask if it is medicaid on file and she tells me it is. I had her take all of that out and put our info in, but how is that fair. We have had a family plan for YEARS? How does this make any sense? The pharmasist told me to call Medicaid? is this fraud? or is this another thing that she gets to do? sorry for the rant.

hismineandours's picture

yes you can have both. Although if he lives with you now they will go by your dh's income which i assume is higher than bm's so you need to report those changes and then he will likely lose it.

stronggirl's picture

the divorce decree says that he MUST provide health insurance. That is why I was confused. seems like double dipping to me...thanks for the info

MarchMom11's picture

I have the same problem, we pay tons in insurance on them but yet it don't get used. Irritating it is!