You are here

Call blocking Apps / Understanding / Advice

Sandybeaches's picture

So back with an update and question.  

I am wondering what technology is best to block calls, text messages and voice messages.

A little history.... There used to be a service through our cell phone company that blocked all calls/texts and voicemails.  The service has been discontinued and now we only have what comes with our cell phone. 

We have come to find out that you can hit block from the phone and it blocks text messages and deletes them however, while it stops the call from ringing it lets the caller go to voicemail.   We also have learned that even though these numbers are blocked, and we do not receive the message that it still shows on the phone bill so we know how many there are. Which is a scary amount for someone who never receives a response.

It is a 15 year story so I guess I will highlight it a little ... 

My husband has a crazy ex who has harassed him for years.  

She never contacted him about the kids where she didn't have to start out the conversation by calling me a B**** or some other name. We have been up and down the roller coaster a bunch of times through the 15 years we have been together. The kids were 11 and 13 when we met so we tolerated it out of respect for the kids. So when the kids both were 21 we blocked her from my husbands phone.

That did not stop her. She called from her work, she called from other peoples phones, she would go into Verizon stores and uses their display phones to text, just constant harassment!! We should have called the police but the kids were young and out of respect for them we didn't.

No one ever calls her back …. well normally ... 

So last month she called from someone else's phone making it seem like an emergency and husband believed it and called her back.  Well it wasn't an emergency and he is sorry that he did.  

At this same time they discontinued the service that blocked her.  She started texting him and calling him all the time again.  He never answered the phone or the text.  So he got a new phone so that he can block her.  Now only to find out that it doesn't block everything and she doesn't seem to know she is blocked.  But seriously what sane person texts someone constantly that never responds?  It also shows that in the 7 or 8 years that she was blocked she must have tried all the time to see if she was still blocked.  

It always starts out the same as things do with any CRAZY person.  First she is friendly just about the kids (whom are adults I want to point out) next she starts sending him pictures and trying to reminisce with him...  Then when she gets told to stop texting and calling that is when she snaps and starts the even crazier behavior.  Each time that happens she goes a step farther and last time was trying to get to me.  

So my questions ... 

So anyway first is there an app or technology that we are missing that would block all of it?

Second my thinking might be if we can get the calls blocked or even if we can't, ignoring it is a lot easier when most of it does not come to his phone.  Meaning, if she doesn't know she is blocked and just keeps sending messages to limbo maybe that is less escalating??  and prevents her from snapping and getting worse again??

However am I wrong in thinking that anyone in their 50's who acts this way is a threat?   meaning this is sooooo not normal behavior.   We have a whole folder from over the years of texts messages etc. and there is no reason for her contact him so if her text messages are non-threatening and just annoying right now  can we still do something about it?  She has been threatening and as recently as last summer.... Advice???

ProbablyAlreadyInsane's picture

Have you considered reporting it as harrassment to the police and getting a restraining order out?

You can block her all day, but if she's crazy enough to use other phones, then it's time to take legal action.

Winterglow's picture

I agree. I think I'd probably have done this a long time ago if I were you.

Even if you do find a magic app that blocks her completely, she will simply see it as a challenge and find a way round it. It's ime to take real action if you want this to stop.

Exactly. It can't block numbers it doesn't know she may call from. She's already started calling from other numbers, there's NO WAY you can know and block every number she may decide to call from.

Sandybeaches's picture

Thank you I think you and probablyalready are right!!!  

I think sometimes when you are in a situation you don't always realize how crazy it really is until you share it and get others ideas and opinions.  We wanted to keep peace and keep our lives out of the spot light. 

We are private people but I think it has gone to far and we could end up in the spotlight on 20/20 for being victims of murder....

Sandybeaches's picture

Thank you we have considered going to the police. I had my folder with me and ready.  Unfortunately we had a family emergency that took precedent and we didn't go.  I was wondering if even though the current contact is not threatening yet,  just unwanted if we could still take my folder and go to the police.  I have the harassment documented at least for the last 8 years.  Before that we didn't keep track .. 

The last 8 years will be MORE than enough!!! You should go! Even non-threatening counts as harassment!!!

Aniki-Moderator's picture

She no longer has any reason to contact him. The kids can list him as an emergency contact.

1. Change his phone number and tell the kids she is NOT to have it or you will...
  2. File a Restraining Order for harassment (you need to document and keep records and recordings of all the calls.

In fact, I would tell this loon that you are filing a restraining order because she is harassing you. She's stupid enough to leave messages, so it won't matter WHAT phone she uses to call.

Lndsy747's picture

The only way to block her would be through your carrier. Any app would still show records on the phone bill since they're going through the network. I know you said that the service you were using was discontinued but are you sure there are no other options with them? I thought all progress would have done kind of option to block calls and texts.

I agree on a restraining order being the best long term route.

Sandybeaches's picture

Good idea and see if they can block her number but it is true and I hadn't really thought about it we are back where we started 8 years ago..... once she finds out  her number is blocked she will go to another number and continue it ..

I am fooling myself into believing an app is going to stop this.  The only thing that is going to stop it is if the police tell her too and even then I am not sure she will....  She acts like the victim when it is us ... and then somehow we are the bad guys because we don't want to be harassed and callled the police on her ..... .. It is a very upsetting situation.  

I checked our cell phone bill just a little while ago and she has text my husbands phone every day since last Thursday.  Who seriously would do that when you get no response.  At least when we print the records for our file they are always arrows coming in and never going out .... so it will show he never answers her ... really this is showing me more clearly how crazy she really is !!!  

Thank you all of listening and your advice 

tog redux's picture

Compile evidence (let her text for a while), and then file harassment charges. enough is enough.

Sandybeaches's picture

That is a good idea...  Do you think it will matter that we don't have the recent text messages only the call log showing that she still texts even though she is blocked?

I do have several text messages from before and the threatening messages about me from before ..

tog redux's picture

They don't have to be threatening messages, sheer volume would be proof of harassment.

Ispofacto's picture

We use Mr Number, but you have to put each number in.  I believe it also blocks anon calls tho too.

Rags's picture

Your phone will let you block calls or messages from any number.   If it is not a number you recognize, let it got to VM.  If it is her, block it. Yes, you have to block each new number but you can block them.

If the call or text is not from someone on your contact list.... ignore it and block it at your convenience.

If she continues to harras you, save all her messages, VMs and call history and go visit the police. File a no contact order and let the police deal with her if she continues her crap.

Sandybeaches's picture

I am thinking that is where this is going .... thank you for the advice!! 

stepmom52's picture

As others have said, you need to get to the police station and file a restraining order TODAY!! I don't know how you guys have put up with her cray cray all these years. I wouldn't delay this one more day. Good luck to you!