You are here

Books that have helped you navigate Stepdom....

Is_What_It_Is's picture

Not to hijack another post... but the book Stepmonster was mentioned in another thread. Are there any books that you would recommend that has helped you deal with being a Step-parent? I have leafed through a few books written specifically for step-parents but they do not address the very raw emotions or real life scenarios of being a SM/SD.

Just wondered if there was any literature out there that has helped keep you sane and not take things to heart when the skids are being their lovely selves.

Thumper's picture

The only thing that gave me real validation and help was right here on Step Talk.

My dh and I really thought we were the only ones going thru everything that we did. Came to find out we were not alone.

THANK GOD for Step talk,,,5, 6 years ago.

Acratopotes's picture

I do not think any book can help you cause each and every situation is different....

I used this site to help me, I would ask a question and read replies, some very hurtful, others comical, some just stupid...... but I keep on coming back and I realized the way I saw the replies depended on my mood for the day...

Do not take replies personal, some might sound like an attack and some not.... no one is attacking you it all depends on your mood...... after 4 years on this site.... I still can't keep away lol.... I still read and I still tell people to disengage, cause it worked for me.

Kes's picture

I would recommend StepMonster, but also a book I read more recently (that is, if you are disengaged or looking to be less affected by your step issues ) called "Let Go Now - embracing detachment" by Karen Casey. It's not about step issues per se, but it is very applicable, and covers boundary setting, learning how not to get drawn into the drama of others, etc.