You are here

BM's hubby lost his job

girlmeetsworld714's picture

In November, SO and SD5 are going to Disney World for their first time with me and my huge extended family. BM insisted on going the same time as us with her husband and his two kids so she could be there for SD5's first trip. BM and I are on ok terms; I don't particularly like her, but I have no immediate issue with her. We respect each other for our roles in SD5's life and we're friendly but that's about as far as it goes, we have nothing in common except SD. I made it very clear to her (as did SO, but they can't talk about anything without it turning into a fight so I feel like my words made more of an impact) that this trip is about SD's first trip to Disney WITH DADDY. Daddy is paying for her to go, she will be spending the entire time with Daddy. SO has never been able to take SD on any sort of vacation (longer than a day trip) so this is their first family vacation ever. We told her we have absolutely no problem with her and her family joining us in what we do while we are down there, but SD is staying with Daddy the whole time, and she understood and said she's fine with getting whatever time with SD she can get.

Well we learned yesterday (two days before BM was supposed to make her Disney reservations final) that her husband is getting laid off starting the end of this month. I don't mean to be rude, but I am SO HAPPY this means they can't go to Disney with us. I am a Disney nerd to the bone and that place is my happy place. No one has any idea how excited I am for this trip to be bringing my love and his little love to my favorite place. I have gone 2 times in the 3 years SO and I have been together and he hasn't been able to go yet so this is a big deal for me. I am dying to make this a place we can all continue to vacation as a family and make memories and all that sappy stuff. I know BM being there would have been way too much stress on SO and he wouldn't be able to enjoy the trip as much as I'd like him to so I'm SO RELIEVED BM and her family can't make it. I mean, I'm terribly sorry he lost his job and I wish nothing ill on anyone, but oh my god I feel like a ton of bricks has just been lifted off my shoulders.

QueenBeau's picture

I totally understand. Honestly I wouldn't have told BM when we were going until it was late that they couldn't book the same dates.

Disneyfan's picture

The trip isn't until November. Why are you celebrating now? There's plenty of time mom to come up with money for the trip.

If she does go on the trip, you're kidding yourself if you think she's going to allow you to have complete control of her daughter thec whole time. Inviting her was a huge mistake.

I remember reading this on a Disney planning board a few months ago.

amber3902's picture

If SD is spending the entire time with Daddy, I don't understand why BM would be going. How is is she going to spend any time with SD if SD is spending "the entire time" with daddy?

I don't blame you for being glad that BM can't go. I never would have agreed that BM could come along in the first place. Her going would have ruined the entire trip for you guys.

Orange County Ca's picture

I agree its too early to celebrate. I also think it would be big of your SO to let the trip be about the kid and while the kid is with Mommy for a day or evening you two can have your adult time as well as Disney time.