You are here

BM keeps copying and I’m sick of it

Gucci's picture

So little backstory: DH never wanted a dog nor was he supportive of her getting a tattoo. 

Flashforward several years, he woke up one day and asked me if I wanted a dog. We got a bullmastiff. He woke up another day and said if I wanted a tattoo, he was totally cool with it. 

Flashforward rd to last year, we are dropping the boys off to go get our dog from the breeder and an hour later my SS14 FaceTimed us super excited because they had just gotten a dog. BM knew what we were doing and rushed out and got Spite Puppy. 

Then in November, I got my tattoo. Husband got one in March. A week later BM gets one. DH and I get matching ones in May. BM gets another a week later. 

We've been talking about getting another dog. BM wakes up this morning and gets another Spite Puppy. 

I know that imitation can be the best flattery, but does it have to be so obvious? Even the 10 year old has noticed!! 

Notup4it's picture

Hmmm, you could have some fun with this and see if you can make her go broke, Lol.

”What do you guys think about us getting some quads?!”

”What would you guys think about us getting a boat?!”

Or talk about a third dog?! 3 dogs would be awesome, hahahaha. 

Gucci's picture

We are huge assholes, so we’re already thinking about what we can say. 

Thinking about putting our house on the market! 

Just J's picture

I hear you can buy your own island for about a million these days. And face tattoos are all the rage now. Or a career change, you've thought about becoming a dog breeder. Oh the fun you can have with this! 

Maxwell09's picture

BM does this. I used to get angry about it because I wanted to be different, polar opposites of her and she refused to let me be. We got skid a bunk bed because initially we were going to put bs with him to share but ended up not putting them together because SS has hurt bs. BM ran out and spent 900+ on a bunk bed for skid that her other kid was not allowed to sleep on. Last summer I redid skid’s room to a game he likes and boom SS came home a week ago saying BM is selling his bunk bed and he’s getting another room just like his at our house “but better” of course. I used to get so annoyed that she won’t allow DH and SS or me and SS or bs and SS to have anything that’s special between them, but now I’m comforted to know that she is blowing a crap ton of money trying to recreate everything.  I got the bunk beds from my grandparents, she spent 900$ on her set only to try to resell it and only get half that. These are just the highlights from my last 7 years. We’ve also done the dog thing too. I started working on starting a healthy lifestyle, I even went on to make my own weight loss page online and doing monthly updates and challenges...sure enough BM starts up posting more dramatic losses (because she has more to lose, using diet pills and she fudged the truth) so what do I do? Keep posting how great my life is, my new toys/hobbies/things I want, and anything else that I would think she’d be dumb enough to go out to buy/try.

She won’t stop so you might as well encourage the rat race. Then work double time to keep your real life and joys private. Yes, getting a dog is special family thing but you shouldn’t tell skid until right before. 

Rags's picture

Why does BM have any clue what you are doing in your marriage?  There is only one answer and  you only get one guess.  SPY SKID!  Quit talking about anything when Skid is around.

And block BM so that she can't see what you are doing or you what she is doing.

Now for the fun part.  Start photo shopping all kinds of tattoo designs with a tattoo shop header, expensive dog breeder receipts, itineraries for expensive vacations, luxury car invoices, etc, etc, etc,  and seed them around the house for SPY SKID to see then let BM spend herself into the poor house keeping up with the Jones'.

SweetMom's picture

You mise well get use to it because I’m here to tell you that from this behavior, I have experienced it too. Your BM will always copy everything you do. Get a new hair color or cut and she will get the same cut or color,  get the kid a gift and she will get one and yours will end up gone. Go some where local and she will do the same spot every time. She will even post things and use your same slang. Your step kid will record or make a recording and she will look or the kid will face time her without you knowing . She will copy your every move. Just ignore it. She can never be you! 

tog redux's picture

SS18’s BM used to do that, too. We got a dog, she got a dog. We got music equipment for the basement, she got a karaoke machine. Then she convinced SS we were copying her. Anything you can do I can do better.