You are here

BM gave SD $350 for birthday?!

_Jess_'s picture

Well, today is my SD's birthday. She is now 11 years old.

She lives with me and her dad. BM gets her EOW. This weekend, BM was in Florida Friday night, when we were supposed to be dropping SD off. She didn't tell us ahead of time, but I'm starting to get used to this. I now just assume that I should not make any plans based on BM doing what she's supposed to.

Anyways, SD came home yesterday at 4 (not 5:30 like she's supposed to). What did her mom give her for her birthday? Well....$350. IN CASH! That is so completely retarded.

But of course in SD's eyes BM is now the coolest mom in the whole world.

And me and DH are big meanies, because DH is making SD put 1/2 in the bank. He is letting her use the other 1/2 to buy a new DS (because she broke hers) and 1 DS game.

Who on EARTH would just hand over $300 in cash to an 11 year old? Am I a weirdo, or is that just a bit much?

Chel Bell's picture

That is a huge bit, I'll tell you. I thought $ 50.00, was alot for my daughter, from her grand ma on her 12 b-day. I remember doing the same thing...$25.00 in the bank, the rest was for fun., But 350, from her mom, that's thoughtless. Even though SD, right now thinks it's great, what will she think a few years from now, when she realizes anyone can throw $$ at you for b-days, but her mom, could not even pick out a gift....after coming back from FL.??? ~"Resist all the urges.... that make you want to go out and kill." ~ Chel.

Mystery23's picture

Well some parents think if I give her money that will shut her up and make her happy. Although I loved getting money of my dad what I wanted more was to spend time with him. In time your sd will think its cool but soon she will start saying I wish i could spend more time with my mum doing girls stuff going shopping etc.

Also she has made you both look bad in sd eyes but you dp is right to make her put it in the bank. How she able to hand out that amount anyway still don't know how much that would be in english money lol.

Mystery23's picture

That is alot of money to give.

Well jess I think you dp did the right thing in telling her to put the money in the bank.

anncanbike's picture

Swins turned 12 last week. I gave them both bookbags (wrapped, etc. for birthday morning). Neither said thanks, both hated it. GREAT!!
BM gives one swin zero (xmas gave him $1,500 4-wheeler) other swin got a $100 jacket. DH gives each swin $300. No thanks from either. Find out later swins & DH were pissed that I (SM) didn't throw a huge party & give them many gifts. BM actually called twice & voiced their disappointment w/me. Unbelievable! I gave them their only wrapped gift, mail ordered weeks ahead of time, and got that back from them.
The family celebration was delayed until the weekend when each swin got his own cake & 2 lb. lobster. Oh yeah, DH bday was day prior to theirs. They gave him zero gifts/cards, never even called to say Happy Birthday to him. I offered to take them shopping & they were too busy playing xbox and said they needed their money to buy dirtbikes on ebay. Someone tell me again why I'm not loving them?

Most Evil's picture

SO RUDE!!! next time I would give them - zero-!! sorry dear

You too Crayon-!! the nerve! of these people!

and Jess - that is completely inappropriate to give to a child . . . maybe if you were paying something for her, some lessons, trip, etc. but where will she even keep all this money? It seems like it will be a problem to have around, but what can you do

"In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer." -Albert Camus

frustratedinMA's picture

Crayon... I used your mantra this past LONG weekend (weekend into school break).. anytime something would start to bother me, I would get up go to the bathroom and repeat in the mirror.. Not my children, not my problem!!!

I believe the mantra was due to they had gone out on the enclosed porch, I was still upstairs in bed.. Dh and his parents were in the kitchen, and they locked themselves out... I stayed in bed, Not my children, not my problem.

This was at like 730 in the am. Why the adults that were up thought that was an appropriate time to go hang out on the enclosed porch is beyond me!

Jess.. I would have made her put more in the bank.. so tell her she is lucky that she isnt my sd. That wouldnt happen in our household, the BM is the CP and she actually TOOK their money they got from Xmas and their Bday last year and used it for bills. That was $90 each child...