You are here

BM denying us contact

Needytoo's picture

Hello everyone, I have been lurking for awhile and I thought I would post or maybe it is venting, take it like you want. 

I was widowed suddenly five years ago and working and being a single parent is tough. Dating terrified me but I finally met a wonderful man. My kids are 19 and 24 years old and they slowly are excepting him. 

My SO and I spend a lot of time together but haven’t officially moved in together. He has been separated for three and half years but isn’t legally separated yet.  He has two special need sons.  His oldest has autism and I totally get this kid, we connect. SO youngest son is different and I have a harder time with him.  Hard to put in word but the kid lives for electronics and drama.

The BM I don’t get this woman. They were trying to come up with a legal parenting agreement. She complained and complained the kids were too much for her. The woman doesn’t work and expects SO to take the kids every weekend.  I was actually ok with doing this but SO said no she is just working us.

SO kids have been coming with us to my cottage on the weekends.  They are having a blast.  BM is morbidity obese and can’t do things with the kids while I do.  A month ago she is deny us to have the kids. She called children’s aid on us. Said my boyfriend is violent?

She is so jealous of us and is taking it out on the kids. I believe she is doing parent alienation and maybe even has borderline personality disorder.  I don’t want anything to do with her.  Lawyers are involved again and children’s aid but of course everyone is on holidays. 

Has anyone had similar things with the mentally ill BM who is doing parent alienation, any advice?

Aniki-Moderator's picture

Is there a reason why he still is not legally separated after 3.5 years??

If you read, you'll find this is not uncommon for jealous BMs. Your boyfriend needs to handle things legally. And this is HIS battle to fight. You cannot care more than the parents.

Needytoo's picture

My boyfriend made mistakes let me tell you. He didn't file for legal separation basically because he didn't have the money and then he had to take care of his parents when his father became ill.  He was hurt by her and bascially gave all assets etc to her and she still wants more. 

I have been reading lots on the threads and I see I am in for some challenges in this relationship. His kids are adopted and both of them had a very hard start in life and then to have a mother that is well not "sane" is very hard to watch.  I will try and keep my feelings in check. 

twoviewpoints's picture

This divorce thing between your gentleman friend and his still wife, could drag on for years. And Canada has different process than we do in the states. If she is giving him this hard of a time merely agreeing on a parenting plan, she isn't going to let him out of any of this any time soon. 

And you sound like such a sweet lady. Very likely one that would be a positive one on the two boys... which is probably why the mother of these boys dislikes your presence so much. You sound like everything she is not and will never be. 

I would be sure to keep your present home and not attempt to move in with him nor move him in with you. He has far too much 'business' yet to tend to before you'd take your relationship any farther. Date him, enjoy his company, keep being kind to the boys who likely need positive attention and activities, but keep yourself ready and willing to move on. You found him, you'll have no problems eventually finding another worthy of your affection. Meaning, don't sacrifice for this man. You don't need years and years of a crazy wife, hopeful ex-wife cluttering up your peace of mind and sense of well being. 

You've raised your two children and you're currently in a different stage in life than your gentleman is. Even if he is trying to get out of his current marriage (and so far failing) , he is not free and able to live the life stage with you that you deserve. Just be sure you don't allow him to hold you back from enjoying life while you get put on stand-by. 

With the wife now claiming accusations (even  though you know the claims are false) these things can really damage reputations and put huge divisions between father and children. And though, I'll never understand child support in Canada, he may also be on the hook for financially supporting his children way up on into their adult years and with "special needs" adult children, perhaps moreso. Be sure to keep your own finances to yourself, don't be tempted to open your wallet and bail your gentleman or his children out of financial difficulties. This man could end up having to not only support his children (as he should meet his responsibilities to them) , but also his obese crazy still wife. 

justmakingthebest's picture

Really the only thing he can do is get a lawyer and press for a hearing to finalize the divorce. Dating a man who doesn't have this stuff handled after years is very frustrating- believe me!! My husbands divorce took 5 years to settle and we still barely have a custody agreement. Don't move in together until that divorce is finalized. That can wind up really messing him up when it comes to alimony. Once he is officially divorced and there is a custody agreement he can start getting her for contempt and for disparaging the other parent, but until then, he has nothing to stand on. 

ProbablyAlreadyInsane's picture

It's jealousy pure and simple.

BM told the skids I:

1. Put my body spray on wrong (I still can't get over this... LMAO... I odn't even know how she would know how I put it on or how you can put on BODY SPRAY wrong. LOL)
  2. She rives better because she lets them have the lights on in the car at night when she drives. (LMAO, says the woman who has lots of HER accident crashes and speeding tickets vs. my perfect driving record, but okay.)
  3. OH also, I'll never be anyone's real mother. (coming from the woman who ditches them moths, to weeks, to a year at a time.... Cuz she sure is the STEALLAR example. LOL)

She's jealous and being petty. Just never stoop to her level. Make sure your SO finalizes the divorce prior to moving in and he goes for contempt. Once there's a plan in place. DON'T DEVIATE.

Thumper's picture

In addition to what everyone has wrote above. Kids who are considered disabled or unable to support themselves because of x disability may qualify for life long child support. They do here in the states.

This is a topic so few people talk about here and everywhere else. Kids today are soooo highly labled with 'something' it seems almost like a serious crisis that keeps growing and growing.  I suspect we have not seen the gravity of this 'crisis' and wont until the 30 and 40 year old parents kids reach emancipation age.

Be smart about this guy. Truthfully long term does NOT sound like a swift idea. Already way to much junk to deal with and he is not divorced. HUGE problems ahead.

JMO

Thumper's picture

NOW back to his wife not giving contact.

They are married. She doesnt have to do anything. If dad wants contact he should go home and see his kids. IF He want seriously wants out of his marriage he should file for divorce. Forget the parenting plan...heck it will be months until a court date. On top of first hearing....add on a year or two until a reasonable custody order is

I would not go one step further with him until he files the paper work. Lets face it this man is not available and has not for a few years. Sounds like he is pulling your chains. So sorry.

JMO

GoodLuck 

Needytoo's picture

Thank you, everyone, for your advice. Canada is sure a weird place for divorce.  I have a few other friends that have been separated from their spouses for over a year and still don't have separation agreements.  What a  wonderful legal system here in Canada, but that is all we have.  My boyfriend does have a good lawyer but all of this takes time (and a heck of a lot of money) but it is going to end up in court. His "wife" is going to ride out this for as long as she can for so many reasons.  

Our relationship is very good, both of us have learned from things we did wrong in our previous relationships. We would like to live together but he is still married and that is the problem. I don't know if we will ever get married but if we do there will be a prenup written up.  After seeing what he is going through I believe every person should go through a course to see what can happen if a marriage fails. 

Money is very tight for him but he has no debts which is good. He does pay support to his wife but because he has no legal separation he can't even claim it on his taxes.  He has to legally pay child support until they the kids are 18 years old.  The oldest son will end up in a group home (BM has already told her son this, she actually wants him in foster care now? But denies us every second weekend??) This kid is delayed but is an excellent worker.  The youngest son has behavior problems but actually be a genius in disguise.  

He would go and pick up his kids if children's aid wasn't evolved.  His lawyer advises against it. 

I know she is jealous of me and she needs to deal with that.  I am one of the most accepting people you would ever meet but I have also learned to stay away from toxic people and she is one.  

Thanks, everyone, looks like I have a long road ahead of me.