You are here

Biggest Skid Financial Fight?

StepDoormat's picture

What has been the biggest fight you've been in with your partner regarding money and his/her children?

So far, mine was when DH bought SD16 an iPhone for her birthday... which cost him $300 for the phone and then another $50 a month on our cell phone plan! The best part? He bought it for her in April and her birthday was in SEPTEMBER! Her September birthday gift was a season pass to the ski resort and she claimed she needed "something better" because it barely snowed all winter! SOOO... 7 months after her birthday, he bought her a replacement gift!!! WHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAt?! Sad Sad Sad

The good news is that DH recognizes his horrible decisions before. He's since cancelled cell phones for his ungrateful daughters and won't pay for any other incidentals: car insurance, gas, clothes, etc outside of his (ridiculously high) child support.

Curious to hear your stories.

Jsmom's picture

Yes - Biggest fight was over SD suing us to live with BM...5K fighting it and then another 2K trying to let her go, but thanks to BM wanting CS she wasn't entitled to it dragged out almost a year costing a fortune. She never did get any, but ultimately SD is no longer welcome in my home and if the brat comes looking for money, my answer is you spent it suing us to live with Mommmy since you didn't like any rules....Good luck with college!

LRP75's picture

Our biggest fight was progressive and lasted a long, long, long time: it consisted of getting my H to understand that the CS he pays is supposed to cover all of those little "incidentals" that BM was always sticking her hand out for. I was able to show him, in black and white, that CS was ample enough to cover EVERYTHING that his kids need or want. Thus, since BM refuses to work, when she sticks her hand out for money, she's really asking for HER 50%, not his.

He was acutely uncomfortable with telling BM "no" for anything. The man looked like he wanted to crawl out of his skin.

The final straw was when I found out he took the skids shoe shopping. I know, they are just shoes. But we pay $1k per month in CS. BM gets PLENTY to buy the skids shoes. Meanwhile, we are struggling to keep up on our utilities and our own shoes have holes in the soles.

Hello! The skids aren't the only people in this family that have needs and wants!

Oh, then there was the time he wanted to register SS onto some high-falutin', hoity-toity soccer team that was going to cost thousands just for one session. Um, over my dead body.

dysfunctional in va's picture

We argue a lot about Christmas, my kids get one Christmas, his gets several. My ex only pays 148 a month for support for two kids ..DH pays 550 for one. I do buy the skid Christmas stuff, and he has just as much to open, but mine get more money wise..
Our current fight is over cell phones...please put me in my place if I am wrong... SS11 came over a few weekends ago bragging about his new cell phone that BM got him with unlimited text/calls... my kids were due for a new phone and I had cancelled Verizon contact because bill was outrageous for what they had... so I found that virgin mobile had great android phones unlimited text/ internet/ 300 call minutes for 35 a month so I ordered them for my kids... they live with me full time and are home for two hours until I try home... well DH says he's going to get SS one to...WTF he needs two f'ing phones??? I told him he he is ridiculous and that SS does not need two phones especially when he just got a new one. Not my fault the one I got my kids is better. DH says SS always wanted one like they got and he wants to give him what he wants... whatever idiot. Am I wrong??

midnyt's picture

We argue about SS bday and christmas. The little A-Hole wont come and see his dad but expects expensive presents like an ipod touch, $300 plus accessories for his bday last year when my SO's work was starting to dry up (it does every year from around Nov to around Feb, SS bday is in Nov) SO bought it without discussing it with me and I flew off the handle. SS bday is coming around soon (6weeks I think) am wondering whether SS will suddenly decide he misses his dad and start coming around EOWE so daddy can get him the expensive item he wants this year, god only knows what that will be!!