You are here

Baltic Amber Teething necklace... has/dose anyone use?

MdMom's picture

So this weekend I was at a family BBQ and I had noticed that all of my little cousins had these necklaces on. I asked a family member about what it was all about, she had told me that they were Baltic Amber Teething necklaces, and she swore up and down that they are amazing and really help with baby's teething pains (and many other things as well). So I have ordered two, one for each of my youngest babies DD16mo (she is cutting her molars and I don't know how to help her, Tylenol only works for a short time and her sleep has been suffering) and one for DS4mo, he has been drooling like crazy!! and is FINALLY cutting his two bottom teeth.

But i have been considering getting one for the older girls too, DD2 and SD3. From what I have read they help with more than just teething, growing pains, headaches, it helps your Central Nervous System, the only thing is that the one wearing the necklace has to wear it pretty much all the time (with the acceptation of bathing or swimming) in a few articals I have read they recommend that you wrap the necklace around the child's ankle and cover it with a sock while the child sleeps to avoid the chocking hazard.

ANYWAYS... Before I get one for SD3 i figured I would as BM if she would actually have SD wear the necklace while at her house. Though BM said she would probably not have SD wear the necklace while in her care because, "It's not my style of jewelry, it's nice for other people, but me or my children... I'll pass." So, I'm still gonna get SD one, cause it would be rude and mean and thoughtless of me to leave her out in the necklaces. (I know once DD16mo and DS get them she will be asking where her's is.)

But, has or does anyone use these necklaces? if so how has it worked for you? If SK wears this necklace is there any positive affect that it has on them? I've read that the oils in the amber help calm kids (and adults) and it helps with sinus congestion (all four of our kids have allergies from HELL!) that's why I am so anxious for the babies order to come! lol

MdMom's picture

That's what my cousin told me too when I asked if I'd still need to use Tylenol for DD16mo's teething... She said that they work well enough that you don't have to give them Tylenol as regularly... which I'm down with. I guess I also wanted to know if it actually does help calm babies/kids?

Orange County Ca's picture

"BASIC INFORMATION

Amber is fossilized tree resin. As it warms with body heat, Baltic amber (mined near the Baltic Sea) releases an oil containing succinic acid. Absorbed into the skin, succinic acid works like a natural Ibuprofen, blocking pain and reducing inflammation. To function well, it must be worn close to the source of pain.

Note that it's an alkalinizing acid (like lemon juice) so it won't add to your body's acidity, and may actually slightly lower it. Baltic Amber has some of the highest concentrations of succinic acid found in nature.

Commonly known as "teething jewelry" in Europe, Baltic amber jewelry has been a natural remedy for pain relief for hundreds of years".

In the end it does leech several chemicals so you'll have to make the final decision. To me it sounds harmless enough so see if it works on yours.

MdMom's picture

Lol, Trust me, I hear that A LOT... especially from people who have SKs as well as Bios.

I go pregnant with DD(2) while in another relationship... it didn't work out with him (he knocked my exBestFriend up while we were still together. =/) and I found out I was pregnant with in a month after FDH and I got together. When I told EX he flipped and denied that she was his (pretty much abandoned her) FDH said that he would gladly step in and play the daddy role for her. which he does so well. Smile

DD16mo... Definate SURPRISE! I was on BC but started taking antibiotics for an infection (not knowing it would get me pregnant again) and 9 mo later we had another beautiful baby girl.

DS4mo... another surprise, apparently I'm allergic to the BC patches... and that's how we got our son. Smile

It is absolutely Chaotic... to say the least, but by the time DS is ready for Collage, or to move out (18) I'll only be 42, so I'll still have a nice early retirement from SAHMother hood. lol

MdMom's picture

That's what I have now.. It was either this FDH get a Vasectomy or Abstinence (HAHAHA!! We didn't have three kids from Abstinence)

At first FDH was gonna get the snippy snip, but after a month after DS was born and he wasn't following through (though still wanting to get down) I said eff it, I'll just take care of it myself. lol, I researched the IUD and I liked what I read! so I got it when FDH was at work one day, and didn't tell him until after my Check up to make sure everything was good... it was the PERFECT father's day gift! lol

MamaFox's picture

See, I always thought these were another Hippy dippy crunchy earth mama "It's supposed to help, but I cant prove anything scientifically" crap.

Thanks OCC, thats actually a pretty interesting article. I may get one or two now.