You are here

"Baggage" Really

cahor's picture

I don't really come to this site regularly however when I have a concern or need some helpful advice I find it very comforting to have this outlet. However in reading post I must say I am disappointed that anyone would consider a child "baggage". I have many issues with my step children and their brain dead mother but I must honestly say I have never seen them as my husband’s baggage. He has financial issues and work issues, ex-wife issues and his own bad behavior issues that I might consider baggage, however not his children. How can anyone every give their step children a fair chance if they are considered baggage.

Whether we like it or not our husbands or wives had children with another person (as disgusting as it seems) and were probably in love with them at that time. What transpired between those two adults should never be blamed on a child who did not ask to be in the world in which they were thrown into. My father was a single man (no mom influence at all) and I am sure some woman said he had too much "baggage". He never considered us baggage, we are his light, his encouragement, his strength and his world. I would hope your husband or wives feel the same way about their children (your stepchildren), and if they don’t they aren’t worth shit.

Call my children baggage and you will be carrying your baggage out the door with an ice pack on your face, just saying.

cahor's picture

Yes I am a mother of 2 and a SM of 2. However no matter what kind of pains in the asses any of them are I would never consider them baggage. If I did think of them as baggage I don't feel I would ever be able to give them the chance they deserve to be in my life. I do respect your opinion.

cahor's picture

BM for 13 years. Do I not have enough experience yet to call my step children baggage. Or is it that a have a husband that takes care of business so I never see them that way?

luchay's picture

To the last bit - probably - yes.

If your husband takes care of disciplining his children so that they are decent human beings instead of selfish, spoilt, self-entitled little shits then of course you do not see them as baggage.

My OH - he allows his children to be brats. Yes, he had them when we met, and I knew I was going to be s-mum to them. However what I was not prepared for was the way they are parented (or not as they case may be) THAT is the real baggage, his guilty parenting.

Of course life would be easier if they just stopped being part of it. Would I ever suggest, expect or go along with that (OH in fact suggested it himself last MOnday night - I said I leave you before I allow you to abandon your kids)

Jsmom's picture

Well said!!! My widow status for some reason made my baggage worse than his. BS....His kids and their lack of parenting, made his baggage much more of an issue.

3familiesIn1's picture

Baggage:
things that encumber one's freedom, progress, development, or adaptability; impediments.

I think depending on how the bio parents sets up his\her relationship of their bio children with the new person can definately result in baggage as per the above definition.

Many MAKE their children into baggage in a relationship by not allowing a proper relationship to form when it should have because they are trying to protect either the kids, the BM\BF.

I don't think they start out as baggage - but when as in my case I am expected to be MOTY to kids who I have no say, no authority but full responsibility, where their BM calls the shots always and my DH looks the other way - yeah - its baggage.

cahor's picture

I guess I would never allow that to happen to me. No one will encumber my freedom, progress, development, or adaptability. I feel that is the real parents fault not the childrens. Sorry just saying ...............

BSgoinon's picture

>>>I feel that is the real parents fault

What is a "real parent"??

The parent who loves, feeds, clothes, educates, cleans up after, cares for when they are sick, cheers for when they have accomplishments?
The parent who changes diapers, makes dinner, teaches to tie shoes, brush teeth, bath, do laundry... the one who helps with homework, drives to countless sports practices, games, school events. The one who knows each of their friends and their parents... their phone numbers addresses? The one that stays up all night while they are teething, teaches them to ride a bike, registers them for school??

Is that a "real parent"? Or are you speaking of the sperm and the egg that hooked up and created life?

There is a difference. I birthed 2 kids. I am a REAL PARENT to 3.

cahor's picture

I guess it did come off as judgemental, not trying to judge just feel disappointed that anyone would see children in that manor.

BSgoinon's picture

I assume you are a new member here, According to your bio.. you are. I will take that at face value.

Some of these step parents here have been through hell and back to try to make their blended families work. It's like when I get mad at my mother, I say things about her that I don't REALLY mean. Some of it I do mean, but it just really shouldn't be said OUT LOUD, but when I am frustrated, I say it... it happens. You feel better after you say it, then you go back to REAL LIFE and bite the sh*t out of your tongue to keep the peace Wink

3familiesIn1's picture

Children are damn hard work even if they are your own. I have a dog - when I want to go someplace I just drop him off at the nearest kennel. Can't do that with kids.

Mmmmm, so is that what I am then, the kennel??? Its all so clear now - BM just drops the skids off with me yet claims I am worthless and hates me. Mmmmmmm

I may have to change my signature from Tired to 'the kennel' LMAO

cahor's picture

Wow I totally didn't think this website was this hateful. Sorry that you find human beings as baggage.

TASHA1983's picture

I thought the word "VENT" under the websites name would have given it away.....just saying Wink

bi's picture

what you need to remember is that not all humans behave in a human manner. sometimes they act like rabid animals or monsters. all horrid adults were children once, you know.

Jsmom's picture

Baggage to me is anything that makes life more difficult. Well for DH, my baggage was huge and he had no problem letting me know that. Widowed at 34, buried a child before the husband. One son that was being raised by a single parent and had lots of extended family trying to spoil. My industry is tough and the pay is not consistent. But, I did own my own house and had some financial security. So to me, not that much baggage for a man to take on.

His baggage, that to him didn't seem like much, was an ex-wife from hell and two kids who have two guilty parents that have no idea how to parent and can not work together. He has a good job and a nice home so to him the ex and the kids were not baggage. But, mine was huge and I should be grateful.

Trust me after 7 years together and all the drama of BM and SD and court and meddling in-laws (his family), my baggage is relatively easy. He has no problem admitting now that his baggage was a bigger pain than mine was.

Yes kids can be baggage. Mine is and so are his. Just the facts of life. It is all in how you deal with these issues. It is not a negative, unless you make it one.

3familiesIn1's picture

THIS

I have baggage. i have 2 bios that are not DHs. They are not baggage to me of course. Your own are not baggage to yourself.

What I do though is work very very hard to ensure the level of baggage my children could be is as light as possible. I parent them, I enforce respect for their stepfather, I am responsible for them first, I hold my XH responsible second and 'use' DH as an emergency backup only. I pay my own extras and split joint bills 50%. I allow DH to engage with my children when he chooses to - I never expect or assume he is the acting parent for events, activites, extra ciricular costs where my kids are concerned, appointments, homework or problems. My children have 2 parents to handle that - DH is bonus only.

Unfortunately, DH doesn't do the same for me - therefore his baggage is now heavy in comparison similar to how you described yours.

BSgoinon's picture

When someone uses the term "baggage" when speaking of a person I get a very clear visual of a person at someone else's doorstep, with a TON of luggage sitting on the ground next to them. Just mountains of it. You take them in and help them with their luggage because you love them, and you want them there. You help them unpack it, you put it away neatly in the closet and drawers. You make room because this is the person you love. Everything seems to git at first. Then the items start coming OUT of the closet and drawes, because you need them. You need to wear it, or use it. Or you LOVE it, it's your favorite pair of jeans. Then, it has to be washed... so now it is in the hamper, and SOMEONE has to wash it...

All of this is creating MORE work, MORE stress, more of a MESS than you had originally anticipated. Does that mean you get rid of it? No... you get frustrated, you vent... you tell your best friend how much stuff this person brought with them. And then... you adjust.

Replace those suitcases with kids... same things happen. THAT is why they are referred to as "baggage". It is a figure of speech. It doesn't mean that people regard them as actual SUITCASES. Of course they are people. But they brought more work, more stress, more of a mess to your life than you expected. So you get frustrated, you vent and you tell your best friend how frustrated you are... then you ADJUST.

That's how I see it.

herewegoagain's picture

2 things...I have a feeling you have kids, thus you don't understand.
2nd, I never considered SKID baggage until all the crap hit hell...I do not blame the skid for being born, I do blame her for the pathetic choices she has made in her life and how THAT has impacted us.

I know PLENTY of people whose parents were crap, they lived in the projects, and everything else...some of those people have NEVER done any of the crap that "princess" (aka baggage) has done...thus, she is now baggage.

twopines's picture

>>>How can anyone every give their step children a fair chance if they are considered baggage.<<<

A fair chance at what?

I agree with newwife3...total baggage.

Orange County Ca's picture

Seems like a silly argument over semantics to me.

Baggage simply means one is not free of something that happened in ones past.

luchay's picture

Exactly!

Baggage in tems of skids - ALL it means is that he comes with issues and problems over and above a man without kids.

IF his kids are well brought up then they are minor baggage (as are mine) but if they are allowed to be little shits (and lets face it - website "steptalk, where step-parents come to vent" kind of gives away the fact that the people here probably tend towards having THESE kind of step issues. Well, then those kids are major baggage.

bi's picture

in my step situation, calling sd baggage would be a very thoughtful and sweet thing for me to say considering what i really think of her as.

janeyc's picture

I agree I've never thought of my Bf's children as baggage, its the bitch of a Bm thats the baggage, what he saw in her I'll never know, she became pregnant 4 months into the relationship, he stayed for his daughter, then one day after moving into the house that she wanted and Bf bought for them, she left with Sd6 one day and informed him by text. Sometimes I do wish it was just the two of us, I think thats normal though. Good or bad these children do not choose to be in this situation, they need proper parenting, not to be used as tools to hurt someone, I thank my lucky stars my parents did'nt separate when I was a child.

dledden's picture

of COURSE stepkids are baggage....hell, BIOKIDS are baggage too sometimes, especially in my situation where babydaddy is in prison for nearly murdering me....so there's no child support, no every other weekend visitation, nada, zero, zilch. it's just me and my 2 boys. i'm sure fiancee considers my kids baggage too. i would if i were him, LOL. his kid takes the cake though in terms of baggage and those of you know know me and my autistic stepkid are gonna bash me for saying it, but FUCK IT, the kid is often worse than an itchy hemmorhoid!