You are here

Bad parenting, not bad kids

Miss Jewels's picture

Hello all,

I just want to begin by saying how incredibly happy i am to have found this site. While i only joined the community a few days ago, i have been on the site religiously for weeks now. It is so very comforting to know that i am not alone....because sometimes, i truly feel like i am. I also feel like a terrible person at times for feeling the way i do about my BF's kids.

A little backround on myself:

I'm a 36yo female with no bio kids. Never wanted any either. I met my BF about 2 years ago and we moved in together this past summer. My BF was always an amazing boyfriend to me although i am finding him to be less and less of that since we moved in together. I love my BF with all my heart but i am growing resentful towards him because of his terrible parenting and the fact that i feel like an outsider all of the time. I was VERY apprehensive about dating a man with children and i had never dated (or would have never even considered dating) a single father before him. But, i fell madly in love...what else is there to say?

His kids are good kids for the most part but there are most definitely issues. He has 2 boys, one is 14 and the other is 8 and he shares custody (50/50) with his ex. I don't blame the kids for their bad behaviours or disrespect because i know very well, it has everything to do with my BF and BM's bad parenting.
My BF and i had a very solid relationship...well at least up until i moved in with him. I moved into his home this summer and our relationship has been slowly deteriorating ever since. I am no longer his GF, i am merely a roommate in his home. I am a stay-at-home GF who does a lot for my BF and kids and for the most part, i don't mind. I do however expect some help, in spite of the fact that i am a SAHGF.
My BF kids don't do any chores whatsoever. They never have. They don't pick up after themselves and since my BF doesn't care, i am the one doing it because i can't stand to see the house in such a mess. When they're done eating, the plate stays at their place setting and they take off. It's obviously too much to take the plate, rinse it and stick it in the dishwasher. They will play with their toys, videogame systems, ipods etc and leave them on the floor anywhere in the house. They don't care. It'll get put away by their slave (me). Their rooms are beyond disaster with clothes and toys everywhere...and don't even get me started with the 8 inches of dust on their dressers. I refuse to clean it. They both have zero responsibilities both at BF's house and also BM's place (from what i hear). The problem is that the parents coddle their children to an extreme. The 8yo just starting bathing on his own a couple of months ago. I was floored when i heard this originally. My BF's excuse, "he's not sure how to turn the faucets on" and "he won't wash himself properly". Well duh...how about showing him!!! Anyways, that problem was rectified once i moved in. If his 8yo takes a massive poop, well he'll call his dad in to wipe him. My BF jumps to do it too. Sometimes, if the 8yo is in the bathroom and taking awhile, my BF will ask him if he wants his help. Are you shitting (no pun intended) me?!?! How do you expect this kid to ever be independent and self-sufficient? My BF does not let his 8yo do anything because he coddles him way too much. He doesn't want him to play outside with the neighbours kids in broad daylight just in case something were to happen. We live on a quiet street in the suburbs and he's known his neighbours for the last 15 years. I don't get it. He doesn't want his son to pour juice for himself because well, he might spill it. So what? How else is the poor kid gonna learn. Anyways, all this coddling has turned this sweet boy into a very clingy, starved-for attention little boy who runs the show anywhere he goes. He cannot play by himself, cannot stay in a room alone, cannot be babysat by anyone etc. The attention needs to be on him at all times. He will follow us anywhere we go, both inside and outside the house. I'll wake up in the morning and he'll jump my bones right away to sit next to him, to play a game with him etc. It's exhausting let me tell you. He demands my attention 24/7 and if i don't give him it he gets upset. He does not like it when i hug or kiss his father. He'll break us apart and tell me that i now have kiss/hug him, the same way i did his dad. Every freakin' single time. I'm not allowed to sit beside his father at the table or on the couch because i HAVE to sit beside him. And you know what, sometimes i really do want to sit beside my BF. But, i NEVER do. A few weeks ago the 3 of us were watching tv and the 8yo was on one couch and my BF on the other. I wanted to get close and snuggle with my BF so i did. Well the 8yo got moody and pouty, and marched upstairs into his room without saying a word. We both knew why he did that too. Anyways, what does my BF do? He goes upstairs (i really thought he was going to have a good talk with him but alas i was wrong) and gets into our bed with his son and watches tv with him there. I stayed alone in the living room downstairs. Unbelievable.
Another thing, my BF never goes to bed with me, he sleeps in his sons room with him. Before i moved in, his son slept in my BF's bed every single night he had him. No exceptions. Now, he goes to bed with him in his room, reads him a story, and waits until he falls asleep. Problem with that is that my BF falls asleep too so my BF only slips into our bed hours later. I cannot tell you how many times i waited up for him because i wanted to be intimate and he never came. Well, he did but only hours later once i was long asleep. This past weekend (both Sat & Sun) i went to bed and fell asleep alone (as always), my bf slipped into bed hours later and a couple of hours later after that, 8yo comes into the room for daddy (no idea why either) and daddy goes back and falls asleep in his bed. I am not a mean-spirited person and i think it's absolutely fine to cuddle with your 8yo at bedtime and read him a story. I think it's sweet that my BF does it actually. But once the cuddling and storytime is over, he should kiss him goodnight and get into bed with me, his partner. Instead, he insists that he waits until his sound asleep. My BF will even tell me that sometimes he thinks he's asleep but as he's leaving the bed, he'll say he wasn't completely asleep so he'll get back in with him until he's 100% asleep. I have brought up the issue and that it bothers me that i go to bed and sleep alone for the most part and nothing has changed. Should i say something again or should i just let it go?
The problem this is now creating is that i no longer want to be intimate with him when we don't have the kids. My resentment is telling me, "F*ck that..you don't want to get busy with me and sleep with me when we do have your kids but then when they are not there you could still get what you want. ". It turns me off beyond belief and it just shows how i play second fiddle to your kids.

The 14yo is just lazy and disrespectful at times. He does nothing to contribute. And i mean NOTHING. If his father asks him to do something 95% of the time he said he doesn't want to do it, even though his father tells him he will pay him for the help. He will very very rarely accept to help and the only time he does is if he desperately wants the cash. Now this something i would like to know if any of you out there go through. The 14yo rarely says hi or bye to me when entering or leaving the house. I find that excetionally disrespectful. I am ALWAYS the one that has to say something. I have been very ill for the past couple of weeks, went to the hospital on Friday, spent 10 hours there, diagnosed with an pneumonia, get back home and i'm lying on the couch alone, 14yo comes down the stairs, goes into the kitchen, i turn around to see who it is and of course no hi, no "how are you feeling", no "what did the doc say", no acknowledgement that i was even there. Very nice. I know some of you will say "ah but he's a teen blah blah" but i don't agree with that. As parents you should teach your children that the world does not only revolve around them. Get it into their heads. My BF was on the phone with his father a couple of weeks ago and the phone was on speaker so we could all speak to him. He was going through health issues and was telling us how they found cysts on his liver etc. well the 14yo gets up as he is telling us what they found in the ultra-sound, ipod in hand and goes to his room and closes the door. Umm his grandfather was talking about some serious and concerning stuff and you don't care???? WTF?? I find that disgusting. He never asked about his grandfather after that all. It's like he truly does not give a fuck about him. I loved my grandparents and i would have been unconsolable had i heard something like that about their health, even at his age. How could someone not care? My BF says nothing. I am disgusted. Teach your children to care...to have sympathy, empathy, teach them how to put themselves in other people's shoes at times and get out of their bubble. Using the excuse that "he's just a teen" is just that, an excuse. I was a teen too not that long ago and i was never unfeeling and self-absorbed the way he is. Sorry. I cared about people and their feelings. I was RAISED to. The 14yo has no respect for his elders and his father couldn't care less. If we (as in all 4 of us) are going somewhere, the 14 year old, will sit in the front seat of the car with his father. I sit in the back. My BF, well, he says nothing at all. This has happened several times and i spoke to my BF about this and nothing ever changed. I give up.
If we are visiting family, he ASKS his 14yo if he wants to go. Of course, he's gonna say no. Do you think a 14yo would rather stay home and play videogames or go visit his grandfather who doesn't even have cable? You TELL your kid that he's going period. It's called respect for God's sake. Anyways, he doesn't see his grandfather for months at a time because his father gives him the option. His granfather lives about 15 mins away btw. Terrible.
My BF allows his son to listen to his ipod as we're eating supper. Every single night. It's like we're not even there to 14yo. A few times, i asked him a question during supper and there is silence. My BF turns to me and says he can't hear me because he has his ipod on. No shit Sherlock. And instead of telling him to get those godd*mn things out of his ears because it's disrespectful, he says absolutely NOTHING.

Bottom line is that these are not my kids so i feel like i cannot say anything directly to them. I always spoke to my BF when i encountered something i did not like and he completely dismissed it. Sometimes, he'll agree with what i say but he has not taken one single step to change anything. Sad part is, that i've only been living with them since the summer and i'm already ready to disengage.

ENuff's picture

There is a lot in your post that are concerning and I agree whole heartedly with you.

The self entitlement is what concerns me the most. The kid in the front seat ~ hit the back seat Jack. The iPod at dinner ~ no electronics at the table. The routine of putting the 8 yo to bed ~ story n light out ~ good night buddy sweet dreams. The disrespect for his grandfather is completely ridiculous. Respecting your elders is a value that is not instituted in your home.

You can bring things to your bf's attention but it's his choice to make that change. You can support him but actual change has got to come from him.

It's the guilt daddy syndrome he has. Sure he feels bad about how the kids lives are disrupted but he needs to set boundaries n guidelines his kids need to follow.

The divorce or separation from their original family unit is not the kids doing. The kids need to have that explained to them. Mom n I are not longer together but it doesn't mean I don't love you. That guilt eats parents apart ~ but how they decide to cope with that guilt dictates how the kids act. If you dismiss it n coddle them or refuse to hold family values as important ~ you get exact what you give !!! Your bf can't change what he refuses to acknowledge ~ his defensive will be alerted ~ if you speak to him.

I wish you luck ~ no easy answer for you.

It's his issue not yours ~ you see it so obviously cause you are on the outside.

If he refuses to address anything ~ your bf is gonna end up alone n dealing w self entitled monsters who are unable to be empathetic n sympathetic Rude human beings.

EvilWickedSM's picture

My advice is to disengage from the care of his kids. If they don't pick up their mess, then leave it there. When BF asks why it's there, say it's because they didn't clean up after themselves, and continue to leave it there. You are not their maid and they are quite old enough to walk a dish to the sink and rinse it. Don't offer advice, don't express your concerns with his parenting, etc. It more than likely will not change. He will continue to let them do what they want, regardless of how you feel about it. I had the same issues with my DH and SD15. We started dating when she was almost 9 and she was treated the same way your BF treats his kids....and she is still treated the same way. I banged my head against the wall for 6 years trying to get him to see the error in his way of parenting. It did nothing but create issues with us, which SD fed off of, and knew how to play it. I finally told DH I was done with it...he can't expect me to be her parent in regards to the good things, like buying things for, cooking for, etc, when I'm not allowed to be a parent in regards to setting rules and expectations, so I wasn't doing anything anymore. I don't. When she's there, he's responsible for cooking meals. I don't buy birthday gifts, no Christmas gifts, nothing, for her. I don't buy the food she likes, etc. Nothing. Our relationship has been 100% better because of this. We don't fight anymore, because he's allowed to let her be what he wants her to be, because it doesn't affect me. The only time I speak up regarding his lack of parenting or her behavior is when it directly affects me or my DD. I also have nothing to do with BM. Nothing....no answering phone calls, nothing.

momagainfor4's picture

I just can't buy into the guilty daddy issues!! I hate it. I mean back in the old days there were men that went off to war and then came home to their kid how many years later? I wonder did they feel guilty daddy too?? No, I don't think they did. Society is messed up nowadays. Most of us don't accept this kind of behavior but on some level we do. We put up with it.

The whole child entitlement thing is just sickening to me. I wasn't raised that way. I never thought my parents hated me or anything. They didn't beat me. I had a great childhood but I was taught to be respectful of authority.. regardless of who it was. I didn't treat adults in a bad way. I still say yes ma'am and no ma'am. It's ingrained in my. When did people stop asking their kids to do this??

I will admit that my kids sometimes don't do the right things. lol. But they do know how to act and how to show the proper respect. They need a reminder at times. But they are grown and all finding out how things really work now.

I will say this. I do agree with you that its bad parenting not bad children. But I do also believe that at some age the child is accountable. 14-15 yeh, they know what they are doing is wrong. At that age, I stop thinking oh you poor little kid!! I think.. wow, you are so taking advantage of this situation!! And you know it's messed up!.

I'm sorry that you are dealing with this but I can see that it will only get worse. I'm not sure your bf is willing or capable of changing anything. He seems content bc it all makes him feel ok or good about things. To coddle his boys. I just don't get it.

ENuff's picture

It's amazing that a majority of us as woman hold the same values as important. Where did things go wrong ??

I used to believe in the debate of nature versus nurture.

If your mother was raised with loose values and your father was raised strict. Where is the compromise ???

If you parent with no guideline n boundaries ? No accountability ? No responsibility for your actions ???

Wtf are you teaching your children ??

My BM is a spin dr ~ she would call and ask her ex what he thought about something. He would disagree with her n voice his opinion. She would push n push n push. He would eventual say to her ~ why are you calling me ~ you are gonna do what you want anyway. Yup she is/did. The mission was to make her ex look like a dick ~ your father said no but I talked him into it.
WTF ??? Who put that Frankenbride together ??? He has been fighting a losing battle for years.

ENuff's picture

Being a parent in the verb form ~ the noun is only a title.

When you are a parent ~ you aren't their buddy !

I am bothered by the parents ~ who want to be their kids friend. When you cross that line ~ the respect is gone.

JustAgirl42's picture

Tell him that you're beginning to feel uncomfortable with the relationship and living situation, that your respect for him is dwindling, and that you are afraid certain things won't change. Tell him you won't hang around and end up in an unhappy situation.

If he loves you enough, and wants things to work, he should be willing to start making changes.

I told my FDH these things BEFORE moving in together, and they were worked out because he didn't want to lose me.

Miss Jewels's picture

Thank you so very much for all your input ladies. I truly and wholeheartedly appreciate it.
I have told my BF that we need to have a serious talk this weekend since we do not have the kids.
There is just so much going on (the kids running the show, disrespect towards me, incessant calling and texting by BM etc). I honestly don't feel like a family at all. I feel like my BF, his ex and the kids are a family and i am merely a third wheel to everything. It really hurts.

Justforthis, a stay-at-home girlfriend does exactly what a stay-at-home-mother does. Everything.

hereiam's picture

I read enough key words to know that your BF got exactly what he was looking for. You, on the other hand, got a bum deal.