You are here

Anyone married to or in a relationship with someone from the West Indies?

superSMof4's picture

If you are, I would like some incite and/or ANY advice on how you effectively communicate with each other. Im wondering if the communication breakdown btwn my hubby and I is a cultural thing (i am white), or a personal thing, and what I'm missing. He seems to only speak in general terms, or in 3rd person; and can be VERY passive-aggressive ..it's confusing to me. Anyone know anything about this that can give me some tangible advice? I know this is vague, but I appreciate any thoughts and your time. Thank you.

furkidsforme's picture

I only know one person form the West Indies, and that is a woman and she is an absolute delight.

However, after traveling a good portion of the world... all I learned is that people are the same about everywhere you go. There may be some cultural barriers, but a good communicator is a good communicator, and a bad one is a bad one regardless of where you hail from.

MidwestStepmom's picture

I have extreme issues when "cultures" are used to make someone feel less of themselves. I was a manager for a company that mainly hired Somalian Muslims, one man came out and said that I do not belong as a manager and that I belong at home in the kitchen.

I used my "women" manager powers to write him up and it hindered a job promotion for him.

thinkthrice's picture

Everyone I know from the West Indies are the no-nonsense types that believe in hard work and ZERO TOLERANCE for misbehaving children. As a rule, they don't believe in the explosion of autism, ADHD, ODD and all the other syndromes that seem to have developed out of the "blue" in this country.

Yeah, I'm old and personally, I think most of it is due to poor diet, lack of exercise, addiction to electronic devices, lack of proper parenting (too much BFFing and way too much LOB--lack of belt) JMO.

For the most part, old school European ethics.

They believe in healthy food, exercise, and good old fashioned discipline.

Disneyfan's picture

I have a ton of West Indian friends and coworkers. My best friend of 30 years (and DS's Godmother) is Jamaican. Passive-aggressive is the last word I would use to describe any of them. I don't believe the issue is a matter of cultural differences, but a lack of respect.