You are here

Anyone here have any experience with SSI for bios or skids with disabilities???

dledden's picture

My son has PTSD and has a behavior therapist. She told me that I absolutely NEED to apply for SSI for my son because of his disabling condition. She told me that almost ALL of her cases (behaviorally disabled children) children are receiving it.

She also told me skid, who has autism and other disorders will 100% get approved for it.

I know the process is a pain in the ass, but could be worth it if both kids could receive funds to help us.

hismineandours's picture

My experience is-the kid with autism will likely get it. This is a lifelong condition and depending on his degree of disability he may never work and needs to be linked to services that will help provide for him someday and give him some level of independence.

PTSD-while it can be a prolonged condition-is often something that can be treated and I feel like it would be much more difficult to qualify for ssd. However, it again depends on the degree of disability actually experienced. If there is a history of some hospitalizations, years worth of therapy, documented difficulty with school then perhaps there is a shot at it.

dledden's picture

there is years worth of therapy for my son (ptsd) and documented school difficulty, hell he HAS a behavior therapist because of his meltdowns, etc. at school and home. Skid, I agree, is 100% worth applying for. Guess it's worth trying for both. DH gets no child support from heroin addicted crotch dropper BM, he should get something from the state to help provide for his needs.

dledden's picture

Stick a fork, my son witnessed my attempted murder by his father on valentine's day, 2009. i was stabbed 11x. me and bioson both have ptsd. He was 6 when it happened now he's 10.

dledden's picture

i will totally be watching, thanks for the heads up. my son isn't on any meds, but he attends outpatient counseling. it was my ex husband, my children's FATHER who tried to kill me as they watched. yep he's locked up.......but not forever Sad

msg1986's picture

Being that the kids are under 18 you actually have to call the national 800 number, 800-772-1213 because you cannot file for SSI online. They will make you an appt to go into the local office, if traveling is a hardship you can get a phone appt. You can fill out the online disability report which goes along with application but actually filing the application you cannot do online for that type of claim.

Another thing to remember is that being that they are minors your household income will be determine if they qualify.

dledden's picture

that's a good thing because right now i'm not working fulltime. dh gross w2 last year was probably only about 60k. My kids get free lunch at school, so probably would also qualify for this. i will call the number like you recommended and go from there. Thx!