You are here

Anyone else's DH/FH spoil the skids rotten for christmas???

emmalee05's picture

My fiance tends to spoil his son like cray for christmas. We grew up very differently. Although my sister and I always got presents at christmas it was never like this. We knew what our parents could or couldn't afford and would never dream of asking for the coolest gift. Fiance's son however takes every opportunity he can to beg his dad and I for more and more presnts. Most of the time FH gets sucked in and buys it to make the kid happy but other times he just says no or tells him to askme. I just don't know if I have the right to talk to him about this. I'd want to know if he's doing this to make up for lack of time with his son or because its christmas? I also want to tell him that you can't buy someone's love and if you continue to do this, he will expect lots of gifts every year. The thing is I wouldn't want him to be like this with our own future children, so its not just a SS thing.

Letty's picture

at our house we stick to what we know we can afford. luckily, sd is only 2 so she isn't asking for anything. However, we get phone calls from BM telling us all about what her and her boyfriend and his family has gotten her (ALOT). It really upset my guy because he can't keep up and then frustrates me because it shouldn't be about keeping up. Besides, i'm GLAD that she's finally stepping up and buying clothes and toys for sd!!

Amazed's picture

I spoil my son like crazy for christmas so I'm officially done complaining about all the stuff DH buys for SD and how she gets double presents for Chanukah and Christmas. When I stop living in the glass house of spoiling choochoo then I earn the right to complain about Dh spending so much on SD.

That's just me though...

"Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of somebody else." ~Judy Garland

Wicked.Step.Monster's picture

Oh me too!!!! I'm sitting here tracking UPS to get the last package in for perfectson.

katrina's picture

My fiance did not even buy me a present for xmas 2009 or my birthday 2009, however his 4yr old daughter got presents. In xmas 2008 he spent over $600 for his child and got us into a crapload of financial issues, i got a body shop moisturiser...I guess thats when it started that I felt second best. I guess the child will always come first and she knows that. My decision now is to work out will it be like this forever and should I stick around?

lynneranne's picture

My BF spoiled his daughter. But I feel it was WELL reasoned. His daughter is 18 months now and this was his first real Christmas with her. So I guess he was making up for last year. But that's ok I got to go along on the shopping and she was fun to shop for! But then again I think that the point of Christmas is to give the kids something special Smile