You are here

anyone else think this is ridiculous?

i-want-to-fly-away's picture

so...my bf lets three-year-old SS decide his own bed time.

the kid can barely talk in full sentences, and his favourite word at the moment is "no" (you know how they are at that age)

bf asks SS every night...at 9:30 pm, 10:30 pm etc "are you tired?" the answer is never yes, the answer isn't yes to anything right now.

i don't live with him and honestly don't do a whole lot of "mothering" stuff, so i haven't said anything to my bf...but LMFAO what an idiot!

the other night when i was there he went to bed (passed out actually) past midnight after watching over five hours of tv...he'd had a one-hour nap that day after waking up at 5:30 a.m.

great job bf! dad of the year.

youngstepmumtobe's picture

What the heck? No way would my SS2 get to CHOOSE when he goes to bed, with either parent! He has a bedtime and that gets stuck to unless there's something else going on for example on holiday we've taken him to kids shows and then he's gone straight to bed when we got back. But even then it's not because we've asked him when he wants to go to bed. I think it's paramount for a child that young to have boundaries and rules.

youngstepmumtobe's picture

I'm headed down a rough road because his Dad and his Mum enforce a bedtime? How does that work?

MichelleA's picture

I have had similar problems with my bf and his two girls (11 and 6) - I have 'suggested' that they go to bed at a decent time at weekends (9.30pm) to stop them being miserable and moody the next day - it also gives us 'adult' time in the evenings..... he realised that I am right and this has now set the rule - we are getting our time to cuddle up and the girls are happier the next day Smile