You are here

Anyone else deal with never ending skid Birthdays?

Thisisnotus's picture

This seems to be a re occurring theme in my house for SD17, not so much for SD12.

She has a birthday but the “celebration” is on going. Obviously, kids of divorce have their celebration with mom and then dad.

And I’m not really complaining just sort of thinking out loud.....

SDs Birthday was this past Tuesday.... so last Sunday BM had a family party....Monday she went out to celebrate with her boyfriend....Tuesday BM let her stay home because it was her birthday. Tuesday night she came here and we made dinner and had cake....she got a $100 gift card for something she requested....and anothrr gift....Wednesday night BM took her and BF to a fancy restaurant. 

Now for tomorrow she is thinking we are all going out to some fancy dinner to celebrate.....as in the dinner, cake and $100 wasn’t the “real” celebration at our house.

im over here like WTF? And now I’ve got both sets of in-laws texting DH asking if we are doing a party tomorrow for SD....and they are all bothered that we are not.

what am I missing? Lol

we have a standing choice for birthdays in our house, you have 2 options.....

1. Dinner at home with $100-$200 worth of gifts....

2. Dinner out and activity out in the $200 range....no gifts.

all the other kids (4 of them) stick to the choices...

sandye21's picture

What happens when it's your birthday?  I'll bet it's nothing like the un-ending 'ra-ra' that's going on for her.  You've done enough.  DH can tell in-laws your have already celebrated SD's Birthday.  The end. 

Thisisnotus's picture

I usually don’t celebrate for a week! Lol

i have a milestone birthday coming up and dh has a surprise trip planned.....but the norm is dinner out.

BethAnne's picture

That is a lot of celebrating and it isn't even a milestone birthday. I would let the in-laws know that you have all already celebrated in your home but if they want to take SD out they are of course very welcome to and should contact her directly to arrange it. 

Thisisnotus's picture

That’s what I was thinking.

i mean it did come down to poor planning but still. DH didn’t plan a family party for today like he normally would because BM said she was getting SD a car for her birthday so we thought SD would want to spend the day in her new car with her BF........but there was no car and now there is no party. Lol

fourbrats's picture

the teen years it seemed to be a never ending birthday week. They got boyfriends/girlfriends, friend groups and my older two have a ridiculous seven sets of grandparents lol. When they were little I would force the grandparents to either come to the one party or go without but once the kids could make their own decisions that ended. Middle DD turned 18 a few weeks ago and she had her friend event, a family party, dinner with her boyfriend, dinner with my mom and she went to see my in-laws. Sigh......Thankfully we only have youngest DD and she is the "please don't throw me a party. Please. I hate parties" type. 

Thisisnotus's picture

I don’t even care that they go celebrate a bunch.....I just don’t want to be on the hook for it more than once. Lol 

like we are done here....your birthday is over.

Kes's picture

On my birthday I get a present from DH and usually either lunch or dinner out.  When SD turned 25 last week, she got a trip to London with SD23 and NPD BM, plus she did something with her boyfriend, then DH took both SDs to dinner and the cinema the day after.  Tsk!  

Penny19's picture

This sounds like Lifestyles of the Rich & Famous and the gifts more like Christmas than a birthday. I've never heard of celebrating one's bd like this. With all of this attention and lavish gifts, the bar is so high now for this young lady's birthday that she will be sadly disappointed in the future if there's anything less. I feel sorry for any future man in her life that has to take over this responsibility. She sounds spoiled and entitled. Time to dial back on the birthday celebrations and gifts for her and maybe disengage a little.

Trying to Stepmom's picture

Yeah, I'd say too much!

Thankfully this is one thing that my DH doesn't do. He'll do gift cards (like $25-30) for his adult kids. And last year, SD13 was being such a turd and didn't give him any ideas what she wanted (even saying "nothing" at one point) that that is what he did. Maybe gave her a card, but there wasn't anything extra in it. And at this rate it'll be the same this year.