You are here

And the verdict is...

Daisymazy2's picture

not guilty.  I saw it this morning online.  If SD called DH to inform him of all the glory details, he hasn't told me.  I am sure he would be gloating and wouldn't be able to contain himself if he knew.  I am not going to mention it to him.  I am surprised that he didn't call her yesterday as soon as he walked in the door. DH has a new job and it is possible that he forgot about it.  SD has a boyfriend now so she isn't into calling DH as much.

I am still trying to comprehend how she was found not guilty when there was a video tape. She did mention that she has contacted the girl that she threatened and tried to get her to drop the charges.  I am wondering if SD didn't convince her not to show the video or something.  The video was pretty damaging.   The last two court visits (she had a reckless driving charge and a speeding charge) she has been trying to get sympathy from the court (her exact words), so she has been taking her "service" dog.  She uses that dog when it is convenient for her.  She claims to have PTSD from the so called "rapes".  SD did get a court appointed attorney.  She used the same one that helped her with her case last year when she threatened someone.  She was kicked out of college for it but the charges were dropped.

Well, since she is found not guilty, I am sure there will be another story for her. 

advice.only2's picture

Sadly this is not surprising and this probably won't be the last time.  I feel bad for the person she will end up really hurting and there will be a clear pattern of court records showing she has issues but nothing was ever done about it.

lieutenant_dad's picture

Was this a jury trial or just the judge? I wish I could say I'm surprised, but crocodile tears and the victim not being physically injured probably wasn't worth the paperwork to convict SD.

I agree that she'll likely end up hurting someone eventually. Community service or anger management classes would have probably been a good idea for her.

Not the same situation, but it reminds me of my good friend's stalker and all the crap my friend went through with the courts. Everyone knew it was this guy, but he towed the line for a long time. Even when he committed what should have been multiple felonies (sent her open razor blades with a notes about killing her, raping her, burning her house down with her body inside through USPS), the most he ever got after a decade of this crap was anger management classes and a suspended sentence. Dude ended up leaving her alone after the suspended sentence, but got his clock cleaned by someone at a bar which landed him in jail because it technically violated the terms of his suspended sentence (he was harassing a woman at a bar and her BF was having none of it) and ended up killing himself a few years ago.

You don't have to actually commit violent acts to be a violent, unstable, amd destructive person. Would be great if the courts could do more against people like SD and my friend's stalker before they take it too far and cause years of trauma for other people.

And shame on your DH for not telling SD to suck it up and not be happy with being found not guilty. Not guilty just means they didn't have enough evidence to convict her of a crime. Doesn't mean she wasn't a sh*t human being.

Winterglow's picture

In Scotland (and possibly elsewhere, I don't know), there's another possible verdict, "not proven" which just means that they let you off because they don't have enough evidence against you. It doesn't mean that you are not guilty or that you are innocent, just that they don't have enough on you to nail you.

Daisymazy2's picture

I know this isn't the end.  She will see it as a way to continue her behavior because she has never had any consequences. 

It is really sad about your friend.  I am sure she was so scared and the system wasn't helping her but her stalker. 

SD was committed to a group home when she was a teen. I was blessed with seeing the form that BM filled out before SD was admitted. The things BM said she did were horrible.  She said she was abusing animals, threatening to kill BM and her sister with a knife and her temper was out of control.  BM said that  SD gets zoned out and could only see red when she is angry.  BM said she was scared to live with her. 

SD hasn't been in my house since she was 12 years old.  She went to her first group home at the age of 12 and was kicked out because she threated someone with scissors and the staff found scissors in SD's room.

lieutenant_dad's picture

I knew based on your previous posts that she has some serious problems. I can empathize to a point when it comes to mental health issues. Either SD can't be rehabilitated because her issues are terminal, or she just chooses not to engage in care. Either way, she is dangerous. Your DH would do well to keep his head unburied (unless he appeases her so as to not incur her wrath and try to keep you all safe).

advice.only2's picture

So realistically she will probably end up killing somebody and her defense team will build around how the "system" failed her and how lack of a father figure failed her and blah blah blah and she will sit in jail for 25-life and still have no remorse for what she did and your DH will help with her appeals process because she "made a mistake".  EESH!

Rags's picture

Too bad he didn't take himself out of society's misery sooner.

CLove's picture

Very sad for the people shes harmed. She wont stop, she will get worse in fact...

Stepdrama2020's picture

Why do people who are so rotten get away with this?  She will get worse. I am sure SD believes she is untouchable. She can do anything she wants and gets away with it.

Times like this my faith in the system goes out the window. SMH

justmakingthebest's picture

I wish people were held accountable earlier in their lives, you know before things escalate and become really dangerous or deadly. 

Exjuliemccoy's picture

Me too, but saving kids is expensive work and our government still sees kids as property rather than a valuable resource.

Rags's picture

Maybe it is just what I pick up on.

IMHO, Judges should have liability if they release or acquit repeat dirt bags who end  up hurting someone or committing subsequent crimes.

IMHO the  3 strikes rule is a good thing.