You are here

Am I the only one that has days like this or....?

nikki_01's picture

I feel bad because ever since I have returned home, I have been tolerating SD quite well. I haven't been sweating the small stuff and I've been able to keep my focus on my baby while DH handles his daughter when she's naughty, hungry, bored, etc.

But yesterday DH went to go run some errands and with the weather being not-so-great and roads being slippery I told him he could leave SD with me. He went over the rules with her to stay in her room and play, be quiet when baby is sleeping and no running around the house.

Well he left and I was playing with my son on the bed. SD knows she's not allowed to jump on our bed but she jumped up anyways and crushed my baby son's leg. Obviously I was furious and yelled at her, she went to her room after getting smart with me and then when DH came home he punished her.

Thank god my little one is okay, but I just woke up this morning so irritated with SD I don't even want to look at her. Everything she has said to day has irritated me to the point where I just want to lock me and my baby in my room and keep her out until she goes back to her mom.

I'm trying to just let it go and accept the fact she got punished for it and it most likely won't happen again but I'm still so angry she could have really hurt my 3 month old. DH noticed I think because he left with her to go visiting today.

Am I crazy? Should I be this irritated?

Aeron's picture

You're not crazy. You are likely dealing with post pregnancy hormonal ness and have some major momma bear coming out because of perceiving your child to be in danger.

I get it. It's normal. Your baby is Very young and very small and SD is more than old enough to be more careful and follow directions. I can't tell you if you should be "this irritated" or not, but you aren't crazy. You're a new mom who wants the best for your newborn.

Rags's picture

Light up some bare Skid ass with a paddle and that just might connect the short circuit between her brain and her behavior. Try it. It works.

Worn-out's picture

This situation didn't have anything to do with her being your step-daughter... she did something she wasn't allowed to do and hurt the baby because of it.
I would be glad that she did get punished for it. I don't think she will do it again. My boys did the same thing with their little sister and they are all 100% biological brothers and sister.
My biggest issue would be that she got mouthy with you. That needs to be stopped. But as the mother of a 17 year old, but never had young or even teenage step-daughters, girls' mouths' just get worse as they get older. There is nothing worse than girls.

I'm so glad the baby is okay, but your husband had your back and punished her. She just needs to learn that the mouth is going to stop.