You are here

Allowance and Chores

SMof2Girls's picture

Do your skids get an allowance? Do they do chores?

DH thinks kids should get an allowance no matter what; I think they should only get it if they get their chores done and keep their room clean. Otherwise, you're paying them for what?

SMof2Girls's picture

They're 4 and 6 .. they do very simple age-appropriate chores .. keeping their room clean, picking out their clothes, cleaning up messes they make (art projects, etc), emptying bathroom trashcan, etc.

Nothing difficult. They have "base" chores that get them $4/week. They can choose to do additional chores for extra $$ (help weed garden, feed dogs, etc). Each bonus chore has a $ value associated with it based on level of difficulty. The idea is, the harder they work, the more they make.

They BARELY get the base chores done on a weekly basis.

SMof2Girls's picture

This is what I think .. DH however believes that the base amount is a "gimme" .. that they should get that no matter what.

overworkedmom's picture

I am the total opposite of your DH. I see "base chores" as something to be done as part of a family. You don't get money to clean your room, just like I don't get paid to cook you dinner.

However if you go above and beyond- clean windows, help with yard work, etc- I pay for those chores but they are in addition to what is already expected of them.

My kids are 6 and 4, they have to keep bedrooms clean (I help make the beds) they have to clean up plates after dinner (put them in the sink), empty bathroom trash (3 kids- 3 bathrooms), take toys back to bedrooms before bed. That is just being part of a family to me...

SMof2Girls's picture

We have a similar system but the base chores get the base allowance. We have additional chores on our chore board worth extra money.

They have banks, but not 3 separate jars.

Your system sounds really incredible. The trouble with implementing such a thorough system in our house is that we don't have the skids full time (just for the summer) and then 50/50 during the school years. I really wish we could .. and STICK to it!

mella's picture

This can be a sticky issue. I am in the camp where I think it's best to separate chores and allowance so they are not getting paid to do chores. Reason being that everyone has jobs to do around the house - no exceptions. And we do them because we're part of a family, not because we're getting paid.

SS5's jobs are feeding the dog, keeping his room clean, and putting away his laundry (all with reminders). If he refused to do something he would get a consequence but it would not be taking away his allowance. (Then again he's only 5 and he's generally agreeable about helping around the house.)

I think kids should get an allowance, even if it's very small, regardless of chores. That way they can start to learn about saving, prioritizing spending, and just the value of money. It's a good life skill, and I don't think it spoils them to have a little spending money.

hereiam's picture

We had SD EOW and did not have her do chores. The only thing I asked is that her room was as clean when she left as it was when she came (which was spotless).

My husband did not give her an allowance.
Had she lived here, she would have been pitching in but I'm not sure how we would have handled the allowance thing. On one hand, you want to teach them that you have to earn a buck, on the other hand you don't want to pay them for stuff they should be doing anyway. I guess you have to decide what chores are chores and what is worth an allowance. I would not give an allowance for a kid keeping their room clean but I would for them doing extra things that are not their responsibility. My husband is a messy cook, I would give anyone money to clean up after him!

My husband gives our niece money all the time and it drives my sister crazy!

Orange County Ca's picture

It's the age old argument. Personally I feel children should do chores as a part of being a family.
Equally they should get a childs share of cash flow.
Just as Dad profits from his laundry being done his kids profit from his bringing home money.

If there was no money coming in then there would be no allowance. Chores always exist. Kids are a part of the family not hired help.

Dad may also be paying off his guilt about not being with them every day if they're just visiting on weekends.