You are here

Alimony law in Florida may change...What do you think?

Journey1982's picture

I was just wondering what everyone thinks about this possible change to alimony in Florida?

http://www.florida-lawblog.com/2013/04/alimony-law-may-be-changing-in-fl...

just.his.wife's picture

It is about time!

Florida is actually starting to mature!

First came CO's with term dates for CS. You no longer have to go back to court to get CS to stop, it automatically does on the kids 18th birthday. If the child is 18 and still in hs the custodial parent has to file paperwork to extend the CS PRIOR to the kid turning 18 and then it is only extended "until graduation date, so long as the expected graduation date is prior to the dependants 19th birthday." If dependant will not graduate prior to 19th birthday, child support does not get extended.

Hidden in that alimony bill is also a nifty little clause that gives the auto presumption of 50/50 custody of all children of divorce. A parent would have to be proven UNFIT by LEGAL definition to not have 50% custody of their children.

Additionally: sub clause hidden in there, that once it goes into effect any NCP that wants 50/50 "time sharing" as Florida calls it: merely needs to ask the court to enact it. One simple filing of modification that there really is no defense against. The court houses are already interviewing temps as they expect a FLOOD of filings to end Alimony and modify custody.

The bill will pass. And there are going to be a LOT of pissed off baby mama's who are no longer getting daddy's whole paycheck because daddy has their kid half the time!

oldone's picture

Alimony is something from the last century (and the early part) when women could not support themselves.

Temporary spousal support for a few months or maybe even a couple of years is one thing but support forever is just stupid.

And it's not anti-woman. It helps protect women too. I can't tell you how many women I know whose divorced their husbands because they never held a job and ended up paying big bucks in alimony to the man.

If a woman is going to be supported the rest of her life she should have to come over and clean the house, do the laundry, and have dinner on the table every night (and then disappear) for the rest of her life too.

Journey1982's picture

@Oldone...I thought that would be your response. You made this statement before and I agreed with you then and I agree with you now.

I am a woman, and I never requested alimony, even though I was entitled to it. I was raised to be independent and be able to support myself if something happened to my ex-husband when we were still married. In my darkest moments during and after my divorce, there was one glimmer of sunshine for me....I was not dependent financially on my ex-husband or anyone else.

My SO pays alimony to his exwife, but was only required to do so for 4 years. He only has 12 more payments left. She's been going to college for the last 13 years and still does not have an associates or any other type of degree. She told the judge during their divorce that she needed the alimony so she could go back to college to get her degree. 3 years later she has not even registered for a single college class because SO wouldn't pay her more alimony so she can quite her 15 hour a week job to go back to school full time. She actually had the nerve to ask for more money so she could quite her job. She already receives $3500,00 a month for alimony, child support and half of his retirement. WTH!! 15 hours a week and $3500 a month and can't find time or money to complete a single college class?