You are here

age landmarks?

YoungStep's picture

SS&SS both 7 still cannot speak properly. Both struggle with past/future tense an example would be "oh mommy boughted us sunny d from the store from yesterday." Or "i wont bringed my bike to the park cause it hurted me when i fell." Is this normal? (I dont think so) I do correct them when I hear it but they cant seem to remember.

Anywho78's picture

My SS & SD (now 10 & almost 9) still have occasional issues with this. I think that it's normal for some kids & will only get better with time & patience. My SS10 on very rare occasions still uses "dad buyed me..." & SD almost 9 still sometimes uses some of her own.

When I met them, they were 5 & 6...the WORST was they would BOTH say "WHAT-THAID?" (with a damn lisp) instead of "what did you say?" or "excuse me?" drove me bat crap crazy! They no longer do this or the others (like what you mention) but I also noted that they continued until someone MADE them say what they meant properly. Once they understood what they were supposed to say, our conversations went like this...

SS: My teacher tolded me that I have to do this.
Me: Your teacher what?
SS: My teacher tolded me that I have to do this.
Me: Your teacher told you what? Properly please.
SS: Oh yeah...My teacher told me that have to do this.

Granted, there were some frustrating conversations where he just DID NOT get it & there are still admittedly times that he looks to his dad in confusion & his dad says "I BOUGHT you...???" then he gets it & repeats his sentence properly.

I found that repeating it TO THEM does NOTHING while making them repeat it properly works wonders.

Good luck!

reallifedrama's picture

Have you taken them to a speech therapist? Has their teacher referred them to one?

Not sure what you mean by "normal". Do you mean their language and speech development, or do you mean something else?

If you mean their language development, it sounds as though they might be in need of an evaluation.

You will need to take them to a doctor, though, because it could be a variety of things that contribute to their language. It could be their parents language, it could be developmental, but again, you would need them evaluated by a professional.

Do it sooner, rather than later.
Good luck!

IronRose's picture

all three of my skids would say "taste-is" or "tasted-is" for tastes or tasted. 9,12,13.

Four years later, they've got it straight.

Now I am working with SD16 on her "pellows".

Hard to believe all 3 went to speech therapy. :sick:

Take heart YoungStep, I think for 7y/o it's still pretty age-appropriate.

ecgirl's picture

My SD7 speaks very well, however, my SD9 doesn't have speech issues per se, but talks like a baby, and/or mumbles all the time! It drives me crazy. But I think that each child is different, as well as in our case different upbringings means different developmental progress. SD7's BM treats her very much like and adult (that will bite us all in the @ss some day), but SD9's BM babies her for the most part. I wouldn't be too concerned at this point. Just keep correcting them as politely as possible so that they learn.