You are here

Advice please - sleeping issues

Miss Jewels's picture

Hello all,

I am just looking for some advice on how to handle sleeping issues with my BF's son (8 yo). I live with my BF and the custody is 50/50 (if that's even relevant). My BF puts his son to bed every night we have him. He'll cuddle with him and read him bedtime stories which i have absolutely no problem with whatsoever. I find it endearing actually. My issues with this is that my BF refuses to let his son fall asleep on his own. He wants to make sure he is asleep before he leaves. The problem with this, is that my BF ALWAYS falls asleep with him since it usually takes awhile for his son to fall asleep. I always go to bed alone... and i stay alone until my BF wakes up hours later and slips into bed. This of course means no "nookie" since i'm obviously fast asleep by the time he comes to bed hours later. I have spoken to my BF numerous times about this and nothing has changed. I honestly don't know what else i can do to change this.

Now, it doesn't end there. My BF's son gets up several times a night to come see his dad in our room because once he wakes up during the night, he is afraid and cannot fall back asleep on his own. Of course this wakes me up each and every time and i have a helluva hard time falling back asleep. This morning for example, my BF's son came into our room at about 5:45am (i was only wearing underwear and a tank top btw) and he wanted his father because the wind outside was scaring him. It wasn't even windy FYI. He comes in at all hours of the night (2am, 4am etc) and usually i am not able to fall asleep until hours (and that's IF i'm able to fall back asleep). I am at the point that i am considering falling asleep in my basement so i can get a peaceful night's sleep, although i know this will cause a fight with my BF if I do.

I am certain many of you have been through this before so i'm hoping to get some advice on how to rectify this problem. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

ENuff's picture

Sleeping habits ~ ughhhh. The devil time ~

I guess to go back into the basics ~ bedtime ritual needs to be set. Along with explaining to the boy ~ you are old enough to fall asleep by yourself. You gotta be consistent on bed time ritual. Get him a night light if need be.

My youngest now 9 ~ had issues of not wanting to go to bed.

It's really plain n simple. Consistency.
Sounds like BF has the issue of feeling bad for him.

You gonna get crabby cause I know I would ~ with little or no sleep. Sleep deprivation takes a till on you mental state of mind.