You are here

8 yr old threatening suicide?

serendipity's picture

have you ever heard of such a thing? BM told BF (technically, just a friend right now since we are on a break- long story) that his 8 year old son told his therapist that he wanted to kill himself bc BF isn't living in the house anymore. it's been 2 years- its not like he just moved out. just an FYI- BM is a therapist herself and master manipulator. do you think this is something she just made up or even could have fed him?

i have just never heard of someone that young threatening suicide. BF said he has looked really upset lately bc he has been traveling for work short term and not seeing him as much- but nothing to that extent. BM has a history of crying wolf when it comes to the kids and making up fake medical emergencies for BF's attention- saying she was pregnant when BF left her (she had a "miscarriage" when he confronted her about it a few weeks later), calling us on vacation about SS hitting his head and being rushed to the hospital (never happened), etc. i am beyond angry at this one though...

beyond pissed-off's picture

FH's kids used to do this all the time - still do on occassion. They started around 7 or 8. The schools do a lot of suicide prevention stuff now and, although I think the intentions were good, it puts ideas in kids' heads about how they can manipulate people and freak everyone out. One little peep about how they want to kill themselves and everybody suddenly scurries to give them attention and make them happy. What kid wouldn't love that?

From what you wrote about BM it would not surprise me that she made it up but it also would not shock me if it is true. Especially since BM is a therapist herself. My skids BM is studying to be a therapist and she feeds into the skids bullsh*t like you would not believe!

mama_althea's picture

While I come on here to complain about SD and BM, it's not like I don't know my own BS is not without certain issues. He is, you know, a Child of Divorce (sarcasm).

Anyway, when he was about 7 or 8 he used to say he wanted to kill himself sometimes or that he wished he were dead. But it was during times of extreme frustration or emotion, in the heat of the moment. It never came out in a regular conversation and it was never an actual thought process of "I'm so upset about XXX that I want to kill myself". While I don't think it's impossible, it sounds really fishy that an 8 year old had an articulated thought process about it to a third party. I could just be projecting my own son's behavior onto your SS.

Given what you know about BM, it very well could be a manipulation...but this is kind of threat you want to err on the cautious side and take it seriously just in case. Hopefully this therapist is not a personal friend of BM's and can get to the truth.

liks's picture

ss12 was going on about this about a month ago....woteva....

just trying to get attention or get money to go to couselling or something I assume....hey

Hey....he enjoyed how He could even go round telling everyone that the reason he wants to kill himself is that his father has remarried some slut from australia and his life is now shit!!!

felt like handing him the rope to go do it....