You are here

50/50 custody....do you get any consideration in the schedule?

forever2's picture

This is a question for those like me, 50/50 custody of skid with the the biobitch living nearby. The custody is supposed to be every week, Monday to Monday. Life with SS is unbearable for me. My husband forgets that I exist, wines and dines SS, chauffers him around like royalty, and spends money on him like he is Donald Trump. It is beneath skid to bother speaking to me (which my husband contorts and blames me for skid's rudeness), so I am basically a ghost in my house. Needless to say I live for the other 50% of time in which I have a semblance of a life. My issue is this....how much say should I have in this schedule? Monday to Monday is rarely Monday to Monday because biobitch always finds something better to do when it is her week to deal with her offspring. Plus, now that the kid is in his late teens, he realizes that it is much easier to manipulate dad than mom. Dad is basically his slave and totally blind to the real nature of his kid. Mom, although I shudder to ever say anything good about her, is actually right in that she thinks an able bodied teenage male should work for some of his money and do something more productive with his life than embedding himself into a chair in front of the TV for 13 hours straight while sucking down gallons of soda. So in addition to biobitch asking for constant favors and changes to the schedule, SS now is soooo very interested in spending quality time with his beloved father (ie. more sitting on ass and less nonesense about getting a job), and my sucker of a husband is soooo flattered that his teenage son loves him so much and so values his bonding time (major eye roll). Basically skid is requesting lots of schedule changes now too to avoid his mother and keep living the life of a pampered prince with his dad. I have told my husband until I am blue that he needs to ask me before he agrees to change the schedule. I base my life, my hopes, my sanity on knowing which days I am skid free. I have no kids myself and put up with all of this skid crap, and it really hurts my feelings that my husband wouldn't at least try to make it as painless for me as possible. Should I have to explain to him why I should have a say in the schedule? Lately he has been acting like Mr. Alpha male A-hole who can do whatever he wants and I can just suck it up and deal with it. He makes his decisions about the schedule with the skid and with the ex and I am later informed of the changes. To me that is so wrong. It is my house. I earn half of the income. The skid is a kid who doesn't pay the mortgage and shouldn't be making household decisions, and the ex has an EX in front of her name for a reason. Am I wrong here? Anyone else feel hopeless and powerless about the skid schedule? Advice?

Stepmom09's picture

I am so sorry I have no advice Sad My husband is great and we both parent SS. We also have Monday to Monday schedule as well it is hard. We couldn't find childcare that would do that (SS is in elementary school). Monday to Monday can be tough it is like living 2 lifes. Before my husband and I had our kid it was really weird. One week we were a young married couple and the next we are driving to preschool. Is that part of the struggle? Feeling a lack of control and never getting into a real life pattern?

confused86's picture

I-m so happy I struggle with this I think. We have 50/50 as well, Friday to Friday. The summers are different, but starting next Friday - we'll be back on the EOW schedule. I'm hoping I take to it okay again - it is like living 2 different lives. He's happier when it's the four of us, he enjoys those weeks - while I am the opposite and happier when it's just the 2 of us. I wonder how much it'll change when we have a baby one day (hopefully not anytime soon!!)

It can just be really difficult to constantly feel like you are living separate lives - with kids and without. Luckily my skids are easy to get along (so far) and we don't have many behavior issues.

Stepmom09's picture

Having a baby helped. When SS is gone it is all about the baby which is nice and when SS is there it is great to watch that relationship grow. It was hard though because one week my life revolved around SS then the next it was like we were just like our childless friends. The hardest part was having 2 sets of friends I had/have Mom friends and then I have friends I grew up with that if they have a kid it is a baby. I am a few years younger then Hubs and he was young when SS was born so I am super young compared to his friends moms.

Last In Line's picture

We have 50/50, and it has changed multiple times how exactly it works, but it is always based on what BMs needs are. I would LOVE to have week on/week off. As is, we have every Tues, Thurs, and Sat, with every other Monday. So we NEVER have a weekend without skids. I have repeatedly asked for this to change, because we can't go anywhere or do anything for couple time without prior approval from BM to swap a day. And I am not going to go to her asking.

DH doesn't understand why I hate our schedule so much, or why I have a problem with asking BM for a day swap. Uhm...because she's your EX and I don't want to have to plan a surprise weekend with DH when I have to ask her permission first?

simifan's picture

Please do. Call BM and ask for a "nookie weekend getaway." I'd bet you get your schedule change.

Step on mom's picture

most of the 50/50 around my area is the 2, 2, 3 plan. For ex. Have kids Mon, Tues, off 2 days then Fri, Sat, Sun. Then off 2, have kids Wed, Thurs, off 3 (Fri, Sat, Sun). That seems to work pretty good. Pick kids up at school and never have to see BM.

forever2's picture

Nope, there was never any CS...just a 50/50 verbal agreement (although BM is bad at math and her 50 is more like 40)