You are here

2 years of 24/7, sperm donar gets 3 hours a week and Im poo again RANT

TNparamedic's picture

Been raising this kid for half her life now. Her biothing has a violent streak and drinking problem. CPS had him ordered no-contact for two glorious years. Now the courts ordered "some time" so that biothing "can have a relationship" with my daughter (legally step daughter). We paid BIG money to get it wrote that everything was child's decision.  That way if she felt unsafe she can cancel visitation or end it whenever. 

This backfired. 

As I type this, the 3 hours have turned to 5 and I was told by my FIL (who is supervising the visit) that there is no end in sight  and he will just bring her home instead of me picking her up as planned. 

I. Am. Livid. 

I have raised her. Taught her to ride a bike, taught her to fish, ran bullies off, took her emergency school project shopping, wiped her tears FROM THIS GUY, ect ect. And now I have no legal right to go pick her up and take her home. Im a step thing. We don't count. 

I could spit nails. I have to go do laundry now. I picked up extra hours to pay for the lawyer. @#&$*@^#; me

susanm's picture

You will need to run this by your wife of course for her OK but you may want to have a man-to-man discussion with FIL and lay out the bare bones facts.  Biothing is never going to get more than a few hours here and there with her issues.  And she is bound to screw that up at some point and get them taken away if history is any judge.  If he wants to put all of his eggs in her basket as far as loyalty goes to ensure contact with his grand-daughter, that is his choice.  But he is taking a major gamble that is highly unlikely to pay off.  As the saying goes, the house always wins.  You and your wife are "the house."  If he wants to be certain of remaining in the child's life, he needs to keep in mind who calls the shots and - so long as her mother is on board with it - that includes you.

TNparamedic's picture

I already had called my wife about this (she is at work) and she said to just let her handle it. The biggest issue is biothing has not met all his requirements (still drinking, hasn't started batterers intervention yet, hasn't paid his first child support that started this month). He has a life long history of manipulation and, personally, I feel this is just him getting an inch and taking a mile. 

Apparently he also bought her a computer game rated M and didn't clear it with my wife ( goes without saying without clearing me either). He absolutely feels like since he is "the father" he gets the biggest say in the child's life. He has even said "as long as she has my last name I own her".... he doesn't care much about what the courts say. 

I see more lawyers for my future. 

lieutenant_dad's picture

Your SD is always going to hope that her dad will be the dad that she wants and needs. She has room to love you both, even if it doesn't seem fair.

All you can do is protect yourself. You have the choice to do less. Rejection is a possibility for any parent, especially step. It's unfortunate, but it's unfair to make a child choose or feel guilty for finding even a sliver of positive in a bad situation.

TNparamedic's picture

That I understand.  Honestly, it is a matter of time before he lays hands on her again and we are back to square one. 

Yes, I am insulted she doesn't realize how toxic he is and how much I have done for her. I know one day she will grow up and see it. But right now... I am protective of her with him. He has physically assaulted her 3 times that we know of and the damn courts think it is ok to "progress" from these 3 hour supervised (which is a laughable thing seeing as my in laws just walk away and leave them be) to a whole unsupervised weekend a month. 

As stated before, we paid good money to ensure she (SD) can pull the plug on the visits whenever. But if she is scared to upset him (which she is and has been in therapy for years because of his abuse), then she will (and always has) done whatever he wants. Not dissimilar to a battered/abused woman. 

I have spent so much time energy and money... my wife and I both... to save her and show her that it is not ok for anyone to treat anyone else like that and here we are.... sliding back. Ultimately I fear she will date and marry his type because "daddy loved me and acted like this"

I just worry for her more than anything, really. As my name implies,  I am a medic and have seen so many who are abused. Sometimes they have a black eye, sometimes they have a black eye and a broken arm and a heart attack from the stress, sometimes they are just dead. 

Im upset she will get hurt again before she learns that he isn't changed. 

susanm's picture

I would think that your wife would be more concerned given that she had to break free of him.  Perhaps she still has her issues?  You replied to my post above that she said to let her handle it.  Did she say how she intended to do that?  Is she going to take steps to protect her daughter or is she still controlled by this jerk?

TNparamedic's picture

Susan, I didn't have time to get into details with her just yet. She is at work and was busy at the moment. I would think she is planning on stressing to her father the importance of actually supervising and the importance she and I put on being home Sunday evenings to destress and prepare for Mondays. I also highly suspect the child will get a chat about how when they (the lawyers and judge) stated it is all up to her, she and I still have veto powers as we are adults. 

She just doesn't want me jumping in. Her father is bland... think of wet noodles. That is her father. He isn't exactly taking ex's side,  per se... he just doesn't do anything. Ever.

TNparamedic's picture

And yes... my wife has grown much more of a backbone but it has been a process. 5 years ago i suggested she fight for more custody and her and her father decided it wasn't worth it. I warned them that the bigger the child gets the more he will put hands on her. 

Not making excuses for my wife... it is literally the only rhing she and I fight about.... but she used to tremble and tear up on the phone with this guy as he screamed at her about how pick up and drop off was going to be. She has come a long way, but the both of them are healing slowly.

Im a fighter. I will never harm a fly unprovoked,  but cross me or mine and you got the bull by the horns. She and her family just are not like that. It is more that frustrating. She has got better over time, but I would love to see more fight in her. 

Harry's picture

Why isn't FIL not doing anything about it.  He should be looking for what best for the child.  Being with some you who drunk is not in the best for the child..

you have to remember, the facts,  you are a SF. Nothing else.  If you divorce, you have no rights. To this child.  BF is the child bio father.  He has rights.   That why it sucks to be a SP

TNparamedic's picture

He never does anything. He doesn't like to rock boats. Never shows emotion or reactions to anything. He is just another aspect of this that I would change if I could. 

As for losing SD if something  happened to my wife,  we are also in the process of changing that too. The biothing has not just been on no-contact with our daughter but his 4 stepkids he has in his now ended recent marriage. It is not one of those "he isnt that bad, yall are just being ruthless" situations. Biothing has 6 kids in his life and my SD is the only one of them he is allowed to see... THAT also infuriates me. He is bad enough to keep no contact on 5 kids ( 4 pf his steps and one other bio son) but not bad enough to keep away from my SD. *scratch_one-s_head*

NoWireCoatHangarsEVER's picture

Giant hugs from across the internet.  I was the daughter of a man just like you described.  I have terrible memories of my mom being tied to a chair and him beating her.  He was always in jail for his drunken misbehaviors.  We'd have to go to a visitation center and he wouldn't show because he was in jail.  My mom always worked at a Winn Dixie and he would randomly search the Winn Dixie's until he found her and then he'd hide out in the bushes in the parking lot and spring and beat her.  WE'd have to move.  I went to like 13 different schools as a child cause of that.  The courts did the same thing but he died in a drunken car wreck when I was 12. Please keep being that awesome dad for your step daughter and hopefully her story will end the same as mine.  The fear and the constant moving and the terror of it all finally ended when he died due to his misadventures.  My brother won't even speak his name.  I definitely remember the scariness of it as a child and we would get years reprieve sometimes but anytime I'd get off the bus and see a strange truck or car, the fear would just engulf me again.  The visits with my dad that the court made us do were just filled with him grilling me or what school I went to and what neighborhood I lived in and where my mom worked and it was horrible cause I was like 8 and was afraid I'd slip and give him info and he'd come and kidnap us or beat up my mom and he'd be angry at with me for not answering his questions or lying.    

My advise is to keep fighting and being the sane loving father no matter how painful it is for you.  Hpefully your wife recognizes how painful it is for you.  People on this site recognize that sometimes I have issues.  I'm too passive.  My father definitely gave me issues that I struggle with even today at 44.  I have trouble speaking up and with conflict because with his alcoholism and his violent tendecies, I saw what speaking your mind and conflict would get you.  Hopefully he'll go away again soon.   

notarelative's picture

Bottom line is you are not a legal parent. You get no legal say. You can talk to your wife, but she is in charge.

Court order says child can pull the plug on visit time, but does it say child can extend it? If not, FIL (or whoever is supervising the visit) should end it when the court ordered time is up.

If I were you, I'd stay away from visit pickups and dropoffs. Remove yourself from them. You do not want to get into a verbal or physical alteration with this guy.

Rags's picture

Do not let the idiot in the black Harry Potter robes slinging the Fisher-Price wooden hammer change how you parent.  They cannot stop you from doing anything that you choose to do as far as parenting your daughter is concerned.  

True, you do not have any standing with the court... but... the court has zero to do with shit for anything once  you step out of the court as long as you do not directly violate the Custody/Visitation/Support stipulations in the order.   Your DW can name you as a legal guardian of your SD, she can stipulate that you can act en loco parentis as her representative, you can engage medical care, attend school events, sign report cards, etc, etc, etc.........

I get the frustration. When I was told by the Judge during our court battle with the SpermClan when they attempted to take custody of SS from my bride that I was not a "party to the case" it was game on. When the Judge then asked for my financial information I told him that my financial information was not party to the case as he had already made it abundently clear that I was not a party to the case and the law being reason devoid of emotion, based on his ruling regarding my status, nothing associated with me was relevent to the case.  Including my money.

Watching that dipshit's head turn purple and just about explode all over his Harry Potter robes was extremely satisfying. That started a tit for tat discussion where he eventually told me if I uttered another word he would hold me in contempt.  So I shut up and didnt say another word when he kept asking for my financial information.   He can't tell me to shut up under the threat of contemt then expect me to speak to him.   

I was very measured and respectful in how I addressed him with a lot of "your Honor) and (Sir) launched in his direction but I did not let him off of the hook for being dumber than a frickin rock. He knew I held him in nothing less than total contept.  I skirted him holding me in contempt .... of court.

Diablo

Eventually I did provide that information in order to avoid a stay in jail for contempt.  As soon as we walked out of court I  immediately called the local paper to run a full page add baring the Judge's ass.  The  Judge was running for re-election.  The add included his pic, a redacted pic of my then toddler SS and the full rap sheet and an arrest photo of the SpermIdiot with the full list of his arrests and a headline notifying the electorate that this Judge forces babies to spend time with criminals with a history of statutory rape.

Our lawyer's phone blew up when the Judge got a call from a relative who worked at the paper.  The Judge requested that we recall the add and agreed that he would not sit over any future cases we would be involved in in that county.

I still run into that Judicial dipship periodically when we are visiting my ILs.  He will cross the street to avoid me even 25 years after our discussion on my financial information.

I did not allow anyone to tell me how to raise children in my own home including a Judge.  The only other person who has any say in raising children in my home is my bride. It is her home too.

So, deep breaths, write off the idiot with the Harry Potter robes and Fisher-Price wooden hammer and do what you know to be right.  You are her dad. She knows it and in the long run you will be the one she values as her father.  She already does.

My wife and I met when my SS-27 was 15mos old. I raised him as my own.  He asked me to adopt him when he was 22.  We made that happen.  Once he was 18 no Judge in SpermLand, no one in the SpermClan not anyone else could say shit about him wanting to be my son.  He wears our family name on his uniform.  He and his mom make that name even better than it was before they joined the family.

You can drop off your daughter at FIL's and you can pick her up from FIL's.  The SpermIdiot has no control in a supervised visitation situation. Your FIL has all of the control. If he says it is over it is over until the next scheduled visit.  I for damned sure would be dropping off and picking up if I was you.  My hairy eyeballs would be all over that POS when he arrived at FILs and when he left FILs after visitation. He would know that I would be on him like stink on shit if he so much as twitched out of line with the CO or in how he interfaced with my FIL and my SD.

The courts can only rule on custody, support and visitation in family law cases. That is it.  As long as you don't violate the terms of BioDad's visitation, do what ever you choose.  I did.  When any of the SpermClan twitched out of line we went ape shit on them and brought every legal, financial and social discipline tool we could find to bear.  Wre never intered with SS's time with that branch of his family but we also did not allow them to deviate from the CO.

Become an expert on the CO, research supplemental county rules, states rules, etc... and keep rolled up copies of all of them handy to beat the snot out of the SpermIdiot with if he pulls any shit.  Have your DW's back and the two of you raise your daughter.  

Take care of you, take care of your bride, take care of your daughter.

Be ready for the next session with the Harry Potter wannabe.  Be polite but be confident and do not let them pull any stupid shit that does not get called out clearly in the record.  Since your DW has custody, together you have significant control over just about everything.  This is a great thing when the blended family opposition (the NCP) is toxic.

Good luck.

Winterglow's picture

FIL clearly isn't up to being in charge of superision so get him replaced by a supervision centre with fully qualified personnel.  This would ease everyone's mind about visitation and a second bonus from this would be that biothing would have to pay for the sessions. 

Rags's picture

Great idea.

This gets the supervised visits away from the rest of the family and reduces stress and tension for FIL.