OT - Thirsty Thursday
We're closing in on Memorial Day and, for a lot of folks in the U.S., that means a barbecue or some sort of get-together. When there's food; there's drink. Here are a few recipes for you (including non-alcoholic and one for the kids).
ETA: In no way did I intend to downplay the significance of Memorial Day - it's a day to observe the members of military who died in service. I do realize that it IS a weekend when many people have get-togethers or when tourist season kicks off. My sincere apologies to anyone I may have offended.
Easy White Sangria
- 1-750ml bottle white wine
- ¾ cup triple sec
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- ½ cup fresh blueberries
- ½ cup fresh raspberries
- 2-12 oz cans lemon-lime soda or ginger ale
- In a large pitcher, combine the wine, triple sec, and fruit. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour (it tastes better if it sites in the fridge for a while).
- To serve: Pour the soda into the sangria and give it a little stir. Pour over ice into glasses. Spoon some of the fruit into the glass.
Aniki’s Note: I have made this with 1 cup of sliced peaches in place of the blueberries and raspberries.
Grapefruit Margarita Slushy
- 12 oz can frozen lemonade
- 12 oz grapefruit
- 12 oz tequila
- 3 cups ice
Combine everything in a blender and blend until smooth. Serve in salt- or sugar-rimmed glasses.
Peached Whale (1 serving)
- 1 oz rum
- 1 oz Malibu rum
- 1 oz peach schnapps
- Orange juice
In an ice-filled shaker, combine rums and schnapps. Shake and strain into a rocks glass (with or without ice). Topewith orange juice.
- Any flavor of sherbet (raspberry, pineapple, orange, lime, mixed)
- 7-Up or ginger ale
- Rose's grenadine
- Rose's lime juice
- Pour in enough grenadine to cover the bottom of a tall glass.
- Add 2 scoops of sherbet.
- Fill with 7-Up or ginger ale.
- Top with lime juice. DO NOT STIR!!
For the kids:
- Make different flavors of Kool Aid and freeze into ice cubes.
- Add the Kool Aid ice cubes to clear soda (7-Up, sprite, sierra mist).
- The drink changes flavor as the ice melts!